First forest planting

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
The beauty of forests is they can be adjusted into the future. So you have a start. I do feel the spacing comment is leggit. I'd also like to see in the ring around the biggest tree, another smaller caliper along the outside, to give more of a sense of depth of field. With the trees to the left of the biggest trunk, allow the new top growth to rise up higher than the ones on the right. This will give movement
from left to right which will allow the trees to be in sinc with their placement in the pot. You may consider adding a carpet of moss to take away that brand new "look". Once established ( the moss) I could see going thru the carpet and removing a path and covering with sand, so it looks like humans or animals have a habit of walking thru. A stone here and there along the path looks nice. again remember depth of field so rocks in the foreground are bigger then mid field and last one is even smaller....

I like larches as well as maples to make forests from. Often propagaters will springle seeds over rooting soil and some will land and root close together. I particularly like those to select from as they deal with the spacing concern and add that much more naturalism to the display. They take time to develop but well worth the effort.

If you decide to use any of my suggestions, would love to see a photographic update :)

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The beauty of forests is they can be adjusted into the future. So you have a start. I do feel the spacing comment is leggit. I'd also like to see in the ring around the biggest tree, another smaller caliper along the outside, to give more of a sense of depth of field. With the trees to the left of the biggest trunk, allow the new top growth to rise up higher than the ones on the right. This will give movement
from left to right which will allow the trees to be in sinc with their placement in the pot. You may consider adding a carpet of moss to take away that brand new "look". Once established ( the moss) I could see going thru the carpet and removing a path and covering with sand, so it looks like humans or animals have a habit of walking thru. A stone here and there along the path looks nice. again remember depth of field so rocks in the foreground are bigger then mid field and last one is even smaller....

I like larches as well as maples to make forests from. Often propagaters will springle seeds over rooting soil and some will land and root close together. I particularly like those to select from as they deal with the spacing concern and add that much more naturalism to the display. They take time to develop but well worth the effort.

If you decide to use any of my suggestions, would love to see a photographic update :)

Thanks Dick. I have made a small change in the position of one of the trees to address the even distribution concern. I have also added some moss. Once it starts to leaf out, I'll post some new pictures. I really like the idea of allowing the height to grow larger on the left. I purposely tried to keep the trees on the right closer to the horizontal to get some more movement.

I really appreciate the feedback.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Perhaps you could have placed it in a bigger container (next year?), because they will need to grow fast and much and will need as much room as possible (or wait longer :p). I don't have extensive knowledge about forests but my guess they need to get fatter so u can chop them for more taper in the near future.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
For others seeking helpful information on this subject, I totally recommend the book by Saburo Kato entitled...Forest, rock planting & Ezo Spruce.

It has extensive drawings, which are mosr helpful. I bought the book to get information on Ezo and was delighted when my interest later went to creating forests. Great resource. :)

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can't wait for you to give an update on this! Looks good!

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Quick update on this forest. One of the trunk died off, but I replaced with three new ones. The root mass on the remaining trunks is really nice after my repotting. A number of smaller branches have started to form to the desired shape, but still need some thickness. On a tree this small, internodes longer than 1.5-2 cm look huge! I am very pleased with the progress in just one year. The trunks have even started to whiten up on some of the trees.IMG_2241.JPG

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here it is after some fall pruning. Compared to the same time last year, you can see the primary branching is really coming along. I really let it grow vigorously and then did 2-3 strong cut backs. Next year I might be more judicious about clipping early to keep smaller internodes now that I am moving into secondary branches.
2018 272548
2019 272549

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What you need to be careful about now is producing heavy branches up in the apex.

I think that some of the branches you have in the apex of each tree are already too heavy. And they have long internodes.

You’ve done a good job growing trunks, but suspect you will find you’re going to have to remove and replace the branches up in the apexes. Let new buds grow out up in the apex areas, and use them to replace the current branches.

I’ve had to do that with this forest, too:

28FED6D1-9AB8-43E9-A68F-1C4ED8EC86F0.jpeg

I like the movement in your trunks. Mine are too straight, but there’s nothing I can do about that.

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What you need to be careful about now is producing heavy branches up in the apex.

I think that some of the branches you have in the apex of each tree are already too heavy. And they have long internodes.

You’ve done a good job growing trunks, but suspect you will find you’re going to have to remove and replace the branches up in the apexes. Let new buds grow out up in the apex areas, and use them to replace the current branches.

I’ve had to do that with this forest, too:

View attachment 272556

I like the movement in your trunks. Mine are too straight, but there’s nothing I can do about that.

100% agree. This year things got a bit away from me and this tree was so vigorous. I have kept it nestled into a larger secondary pot of increase humidity but the roots completely colonized it. I will have to be much more vigilant this year with pinching and pruning back.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Coming along beautifully. I love to see group plantings develop.

Top Bottom