First forests Dawn Redwood and Acer Palm.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You gotta start somewhere. They look fine. You might give it a year and add a couple more maples.
Thanks, they were fun to put together I definently like the forest planting aspect of bonsai. I will make more in the future. Had so many of my japanese lilacs sprout that I think I'll use like 15 of those once they get bigger. Adding more maples in the future to the acer one is a good idea definitely will keep that in mind.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What do they look like from the front?

The dawn redwood looks like the tallest one is on one side. It should be somewhere near the middle.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Which is fine unless you are following a formula.
Formulas exist because they produce good results. Especially for beginners. Once you have mastered doing things “by the book”, then experiment to your heart’s content.

All of bonsai “art” or “styling” is intended to create a “pleasing” image in the long run. What’s “pleasing” may vary for each Viewer, but there are generally accepted guidelines such as “balance” and “depth” and “movement”, etc that all combine to create that image. It is the artist’s manipulation of those elements that creates order out of chaos. Most humans prefer order to chaos. Your mileage may vary.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What do they look like from the front?

The dawn redwood looks like the tallest one is on one side. It should be somewhere near the middle.
There are some small trees on the outside but this is just a start. The dawn redwoods are two different ages all the small I grew from seed this winter.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would just let them grow for a year or two while researching into what type of arrangement I like to achieve. You have plenty of time to change your mind.
That is my plan. Just started bonsai in Nov 2019 so I have a lot learn and apply to my trees as I learn it.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They look great. You are off to a good start. Listen to what others may say about the design / layout, but don't get distracted by it. Have fun, you have lots of time to modify things as you go along this path.
I have studied the principles of design and I will continue to do so, but nature is my primary teacher.
Forests are Fun.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My first two forest are good the dawn redwoods grow way faster than Japanese maples. Here are some update pics. New slab style pot on the way for the redwood forest will repot in spring.IMG_20210621_093108_180.jpgIMG_20210610_093106_163.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Late summer pic update of my forest trying to get an idea of how the pot I chose for it will look. It will go on a slab pot in spring.20210731_090618.jpg20210809_120111.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Fall colors showing on redwood forest definitely needs repot it pushing out of the training pot. Will use muck to repot it onto the slab previously pictured.20211027_122701.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think it looks great. Super encouraging for a newby like me (who also has a Redwood Forest and plenty of JMs!) Do you know if your maples are Katsura Japanese Maples? The young leaves look similar and those are some of my favorites. Nice work and look forward to seeing the redwoods in that slab.

Top Bottom