First Formal Shohin Display

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Recently, I’ve been spending time on the art of displaying shohin bonsai. At this point, I’m making relatively direct 2-piece displays. Time is one of the great themes of all bonsai. This display explores that theme in the form of autumn, and a chojubai flowering quince losing its leaves. [For those wondering why a flowering quince is being shown without a flower, there is actually one flower bud, at the tip of the bare vertical shoot at the back of the foliage. Hard to see due to the small size of the picture, but it is there.]

Time is also visualized in the form of the resin dog. This dog, which I bought in a Confucian temple in Taipei, Taiwan, represents the Year of the Dog, a symbol from the Chinese zodiac.

Since this is my first formal display, comments will be very helpful.

ul chojubai taiwan  display 210-29-13.jpg

MidMichBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
With this 2 element display you might consider placing the 2'nd element on the left. Though the tree leans heavily to the right, the primary branch seems to be pointing left which, to my eye, brings disunity to the composition. The tree seems apposed to the dog rather than in harmony with it.

Also, I think both the pot that the tree is in as well as the dog are too colorful. They are a distraction from the tree rather than a compliment to it. This much busy color screams, "look at me!" and I fear the tree will be overshadowed by these elements.

Lastly, I think the stand could be twice as tall. By doing this, the tree would be at a more comfortable viewing angle and, if placed in an exhibition or show, would allow it to compete with other more substantially sized material that may be on either side of it.

The photography and lighting of this display is excellent! It captures the composition very well and seems to accurately represent what is there. Well done!

I hope this is helpful. Display is a tough subject but it's worth the hard work because, when it's done well, the results are stunning!

Best,
Dan

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Fred,

You will not like what I will say and know that I mean well. It is also based on my personal taste and vision so I may be way off.

Not sure if you are ready for this but brutal truth is...most of these don't appeals to me.

The tree is basically a straight stick in a pot that was forced to its side. No appealing movement whatsoever. I cannot call it bonsai if it is mine.

The pot is way too colorful and very distracting. I know you like them though.

The accents...are very cheesy and too colorful.

The only nice things for me are the table and the stand (the dog is on).

Very sorry to be blunt but I believe someone have to do it. Might as well be me, though you may think I am a jerk for doing so.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I'm afraid I agree with both posts. (But I'd beat you over the head for the table!!!!!).

The pot doesn't seem to be designed to ever have a tree in it; it is just too colorful and busy, but might be best as a stand-alone display.

The theme would be better expressed if the supplemental object also carried on the image of the fall season, and the tree just isn't good enough (yet) for actual display.

Keep trying!

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
Truck様へ

I think it is great at your first display. I also like the Shohin. The things I like about your seki kazari are the following:
Your choice of the flow of the display, and the use of the hidari katte migi nagare display. (Right Flowing Display)
Use of a large rectangular jiita to frame the entire display (What wood is this made of?)

Here are some suggestions to maybe change it up a little:
1. The theme you are trying I understand, but I think this would work better with an Autumn seasonal element.
2. The Quince is a flowering tree so it is semi-formal in classification with an informal (Hankengai or Fukinagashi) styling. Classification is Gyou no Sou(Sorry for the Japanese terms) The rectangle pot is a formal shape, and the tree would probably be better served in a similar Gyou no Sou pot. A uniform glazed pot that is round in shape.
3. To further the idea on the rectangle pot, there is repetition among the shapes of the Jiita, shoku and pot. I am not sure how high this table is but would recommend a table with much narrower legs that is a little taller and square on the top. Then you would have no repeated shapes. Round pot, square shoku, and rectangular jiita.
4. Another point has to do with displaying multiple items on a large jiita. When you use a large jiita the rule is to place the tree in front, with the accent slightly behind the tree, and no additional jiita or slab is necessary for the accent piece. This is different when displaying using three points that are all separate...the tree is usually placed slightly in the back and the accent is forward slightly.

I have attached a picture to reinforce what I wrote for the points listed above.
This is a summer display with a Yama Momiji (maple) in a Hankengai styling. The Jiita and table are rosewood, but one is a natural shape and the table is square. The accent is a bronze fisherman on a boat, and the scroll is a waterfall.
Summer 1 Revised.jpg

Hope that gives you some ideas and I hope to see an improved version two in the future.

Last edited:

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks very much. This is very strong, constructive information. Thanks, again.

Top Bottom