first formal upright

will0911

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
Hi this is my first formal upright and I also am wondering what kind of juniper this is? I haven't done anything to it yet bit I figured I would post it...oh well I did cut the top off it was about three feet and I cut it down to about one foot...it has a good root spread down lower that I am excited about! Ok here is the picture.

2011-11-12_13-42-35_134.jpg

2011-11-12_13-42-28_366.jpg

2011-11-12_13-45-26_954.jpg

Comments welcome!

Thanks,

Will B.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Will, Looks like an eastern red cedar (juniperus virginiana). From my experience, they do not take well to potted culture, but that may be different where you're at. If you have a apples or crabs, you have to worry about cedar apple rust, which is passed back and forth between the two. I hope you can make it into something nice.

will0911

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
Thanks Stan! There aren't any apples near me but I will keep it in consideration. Ill post pictures when I wire in the spring!

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Defiantly an Eastern Red Cedar. They grow like weeds around here. I've seen a few nice ones around.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
They grow OK in pots, but they don't make the world's best bonsai. To get any kind of taper in this plant in your lifetime, you need to chop yours quite a bit (2/3) shorter than it is now and wire up one of those skinny branches to become a new leader. Then, just let it grow for a couple of years. No wiring, no pruning, etc.

Top Bottom