First full size penjing root over rock

Trimaptim

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Today I got this tree because I loved the movement of it. Compliments of being a black olive, the branches have great movement. I haven't wired anything yet except for the bottom branch to see how well it would accept movement. I am hoping to do a windswept style with this and eventually maybe get a cutting or two from it and plant in this pot as well. I should add that this was potted today. So the rock the tree is wrapped around is completely covered right now and built up with sphagnum moss to keep those exposed roots damp until I can move it away little by little helping not to shock the tree.

Attachments

• IMG_20200703_153441859_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200703_153441859_HDR.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 67

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I really like that tree!... it seems to have found itself already! Now with your help.. you can SHINE.. together.

It can be challenging to wrap roots on a tree of this age.. but definitely do-able.

I would speak more to ROR specifics for “staying on top” of the root growth.. and “keeping it tight”.. but i’m not familiar with olive trees AT ALL!

I just, mostly, wanted to say:

Nice tree!

Trimaptim

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I really like that tree!... it seems to have found itself already! Now with your help.. you can SHINE.. together.

It can be challenging to wrap roots on a tree of this age.. but definitely do-able.

I would speak more to ROR specifics for “staying on top” of the root growth.. and “keeping it tight”.. but i’m not familiar with olive trees AT ALL!

I just, mostly, wanted to say:

Nice tree!
Thank you! Yes, as soon as I saw the movement in the plastic bin, I knew it'd make a great tree! Unfortunately that is all the farther I got because of a rainstorm. Tomorrow I will continue to work it. How would you suggest going about making sure the tree doesn't get shocked exposing these surface roots now? The main roots under the soil are wrapped tightly around the rock so I'm not worried about that aspect of it.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I was considering your question about fostering a “easy environment” for root recovery and new growth.. and besides the obvious shock/stress to the system...one would think that the more exposed (more exposed then buried in substrate) would be more susceptible to higher as well as lower temperatures AND temperature shifts. Also fluctuations in moisture (I would think)

There was SOMETHING.... a certain method for use in this very situation, and I couldn’t remember it..

Then I did! 😂

Harry Harrington speaks of using sand inside the wrap layer, pressed into any crevice.

I hope this proves useful.

Trimaptim

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I was considering your question about fostering a “easy environment” for root recovery and new growth.. and besides the obvious shock/stress to the system...one would think that the more exposed (more exposed then buried in substrate) would be more susceptible to higher as well as lower temperatures AND temperature shifts. Also fluctuations in moisture (I would think)

There was SOMETHING.... a certain method for use in this very situation, and I couldn’t remember it..

Then I did! 😂

Harry Harrington speaks of using sand inside the wrap layer, pressed into any crevice.

I hope this proves useful.
Thank you! I believe that will prove helpful when I start backing the soil down.

Trimaptim

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Well here it is after pruning and wiring a little. Nothing too drastic.

Attachments

• IMG_20200703_181045251.jpg
    IMG_20200703_181045251.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 61

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Nice!

It would be neat (not necessarily THIS tree, THIS tree just “got me thinking”) to see a more contemporary version of “handsome cloud” penjing technique..

Trimaptim

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nice!

It would be neat (not necessarily THIS tree, THIS tree just “got me thinking”) to see a more contemporary version of “handsome cloud” penjing technique..
Can you post a pic of what that is? I'm not familiar.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Haha! I did not realize how hard it was to find “handsome cloud” on the internet.. it’s all some handsome blond guy with a buster sword! ( ;) )

This picture comes from “The Chinese art of Bonsai & Potted landscapes”.. DEFINITELY in my top 5 TinyTree books (so far 😜)

D0BA01CC-93ED-4BDC-AB12-5E9FBC3BDFEE.jpeg

And is (Traditionally) tying/coiling every branch seperately in depthy S-patterns and with each branch developing its own “Cloud Apex” or Yunipan.

I STRONGLY recommend this book, as it is 70 percent off... now.

Trimaptim

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Haha! I did not realize how hard it was to find “handsome cloud” on the internet.. it’s all some handsome blond guy with a buster sword! ( ;) )

This picture comes from “The Chinese art of Bonsai & Potted landscapes”.. DEFINITELY in my top 5 TinyTree books (so far 😜)

View attachment 313559

And is (Traditionally) tying/coiling every branch seperately in depthy S-patterns and with each branch developing its own “Cloud Apex” or Yunipan.

I STRONGLY recommend this book, as it is 70 percent off... now.

Thank you for sharing. I've never seen that type of bonsai!

Top Bottom