First fully successful airlayer - Deshojo maple

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"Fully" successful because I got ordinary JM to root before but then had fungal issues I recognised too late.
The straight JM rooted In about 4 weeks, the roots came out from the upper edge.
Deshojo I checked after 2 months, there was some callus but no roots. Didnt cut anything, just reapplied rooting hormone.
4 weeks later, small roots came from between the nodes a few centimeters above the ringbarked section.
The airlayered branch had not been upright, and so the roots only came from the underside.
I cut back the foliage hard and severed the airlayer.
It had maybe 3 1cm roots. I did not place it in a greenhouse, just partial shade.
Needless to say it suffered drought damage and threw off most of its leaves.

Luckily it has recovered and is pushing buds and sending out shoots all over now.
I guess I will let it grow freely for a year before dealing with the roots and fieldgrowing it.
Deshojo is my favorite variety so far. Peter Chan introduced me to it through his videos.

327.jpg
407.jpg

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's pretty awesome. What rooting hormone did you use?
Honestly its 3 or 4 years old rooting hormone powder (sorry lost the label) that is being kept in a sealed plastic bag in a garage that can get quite hot in summer. Youre supposed to keep it in the fridge and replace it every 2 years lol. So Im not sure it did anything at all, sure as hell didnt get my plum and peach airlayers to root, even after 3 months.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice. Now go out and look for next years air layers!

:)
Thick horse-chestnut airlayers would interest me, if I can find proper parent plants. Dont know if they are likely to root though, not because of thickness but species.
And of course Ill make more Deshojo airlayers.

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I’m rooting for those...roots!
I’ve got a first potentially successful air layer on now too. It only had a few scraggly roots after 2 months.

Top Bottom