First Go at Cascade Juni

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Been moving slowly with this one...
Obtained in '16...
Repotted and cut back....only been making reductions since, till I got down to one branch.
This one had 4 or 5 larger cascading branches on it, from the nursery.

Time to style.
Sorry for the crossing wires, anchored that way...not pretty, but it works.
Don't have the early pictures, just today.

Before:
20180707_102441.jpg20180707_102451.jpg20180707_102512.jpg
20180707_102441.jpg20180707_102451.jpg20180707_102512.jpg

TooCoys

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
And this is where reading that book comes into my head, especially because I just read the chapter on the styles last night.

Would this be a semi-cascade or a full cascade? Since it does grow straight for a bit before the turn downward?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
And this is where reading that book comes into my head, especially because I just read the chapter on the styles last night.

Would this be a semi-cascade or a full cascade? Since it does grow straight for a bit before the turn downward?
Good question...
I seem to remember the difference having to do with if the cascading branch dips below the rim of the pot, or below the entire pot....I'm probably wrong.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Full cascade has growth extending below the bottom of the pot.
Good start JWI, I would recommend tightening up each of those bends a bit more and really compact it.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Good start JWI, I would recommend tightening up each of those bends a bit more and really compact it.
Thanks BVF, I thought about that, but id have to remove a few branches if I did that...and I don't wanna remove too much at once.
But I think that will happen in the future.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I really like the progress, definitely looks like you've had a plan for this and it's coming along!

I have a Parsons (I think) that's been sitting around for a couple years, not really sure what to do with it, I've never looked at it as a cascade but now I think I will! Is that a Blue Pacific? Kinda looks parsony to me as well.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I really like the progress, definitely looks like you've had a plan for this and it's coming along!

I have a Parsons (I think) that's been sitting around for a couple years, not really sure what to do with it, I've never looked at it as a cascade but now I think I will! Is that a Blue Pacific? Kinda looks parsony to me as well.
Thanks!
Yeah, I specifically wanted to get something for a future cascade, at least to try...
This one is actually a plain procumbens.

TooCoys

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Good question...
I seem to remember the difference having to do with if the cascading branch dips below the rim of the pot, or below the entire pot....I'm probably wrong.

So the determining factor has less to do with the amount of horizontal growth and downward angle, and more to do with the amount of downward growth? Interesting.

Sorry to turn your thread into a style discussion Mike, but I spent all last nights shift reading about styles and taking notes! Just trying to apply what I learn. Very good looking tree though! I find it pleasing to look at, especially the 2nd and 3rd wiring pics.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
So the determining factor has less to do with the amount of horizontal growth and downward angle, and more to do with the amount of downward growth? Interesting.

Sorry to turn your thread into a style discussion Mike, but I spent all last nights shift reading about styles and taking notes! Just trying to apply what I learn. Very good looking tree though! I find it pleasing to look at, especially the 2nd and 3rd wiring pics.
Some books can over comucate things...
No worries!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
It's been a few years since this how is it doing
This one died....sadly... this was before I began using various things to fight fungus and disease.
Now I proactively spray the foliage of my junipers with Mancozeb and that sort of thing.
Things are going better now for my trees....I have 3 junipers now, 2 are growing out and one is recovering from Tip Blight....and growing out.

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I like that you dont have foliage up at the top well above the rim.

If circumstances were such that any part of it could grow UP, there would be no sense of sending anything significant way down.

I hate when people try to have it both ways. Looks ridiculous.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

If circumstances were such that any part of it could grow UP, there would be no sense of sending anything significant way down.

I'm planning a similar Cascade with my bougainvillea....all foliage down low.
Thanks.
I should get another little cheapo like this juniper and try again.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Generally true but any decent emulation of nature is good with me. Fact is that sometimes this is the way they grow on mountainsides.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This one died....sadly... this was before I began using various things to fight fungus and disease.
Now I proactively spray the foliage of my junipers with Mancozeb and that sort of thing.
Things are going better now for my trees....I have 3 junipers now, 2 are growing out and one is recovering from Tip Blight....and growing out.
Mike bro. Mail me some mancozeb! I’ll pay you! I can’t get it here.

Top Bottom