First go at shaping!

moved on

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

So, I decided to do my first ever major shaping of my Chinese Sweet Plum and Ficus bonsai since I bought them. They've both been growing very well over the past few months, so I've been building up to it. I also tried out some wiring on my Ficus (it's my first go, so I sure it's far, far from perfect). I've attached before and after photos.

I'd be very interested in hearing thoughts on my first go!

Before:

before.jpg

After:

after_1.jpgafter_3.jpg

after_5.jpg

Attachments

• after_2.jpg
    after_2.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 4
  • after_4.jpg
    after_4.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Glad to see you gave wiring a try! Something that has helped me in styling is to look around the net and read some books on various bonsai styles. I have a copy of this one and it has helped me visualize the future look of some of my trees.

51T8qcx5t8L._SX334_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Another helpful resource that was a game changer for me is Colin Lewis' free wiring videos. You will have to start an account to watch them but it is well worth it.

Link to videos:

Keep up the practice!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I give the same advice to everyone first starting out - because it is advice I often follow myself. Because you are trying to capture the essence of a tree in nature (just in a miniature form), it is often easier if you have an image of a tree of nature to use as your styling guide when you shape and wire your tree.

moved on

Yamadori
Reaction score
I had a change of heart and re-styled the stop of the tree a bit as I thought it looked a bit like a lollypop this morning.

IMG_2524.jpg

I think I'll aim to try and work on that asymmetry as it grows out again and thickens around the top.

moved on

Yamadori
Reaction score
I have a copy of this one and it has helped me visualize the future look of some of my trees.
Thanks for book recommendation and the link for the wiring videos. I'll definitely make an account with the videos. I found a used copy of the book on Amazon for £15 so I've ordered it.

moved on

Yamadori
Reaction score
it is often easier if you have an image of a tree of nature to use as your styling guide when you shape and wire your tree.
That's very interesting.

I tried to Google pictures of a wild Sageretia Theezans tree, but could only find pictures of bonsai. The same with Retusa Ginseng.

Oleg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Colin Lewis on Blueprint seems to be a paid subscription now, I was hit with an agreement to charge my credit card.

Dragon60

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Colin Lewis on Blueprint seems to be a paid subscription now, I was hit with an agreement to charge my credit card.
I ran into the same thing but was able to get around that. It was add to cart then open the wiring video. Something like that. If I remember exactly I'll post it. I started out with Craftsy. Com which had bluprint.

Oleg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Thanks I'd like to watch it.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I tried to Google pictures of a wild Sageretia Theezans tree, but could only find pictures of bonsai. The same with Retusa Ginseng.
Thing is.. You do not need to make a species-realistic styling. So you could decide you want you rficus ginseng to look like a ficus elastic, or rubber tree. And your Sageretia like an oak. Just take a style you like and go for it.

Right now, the trees lack canopy structure and are more topiary than bonsai as a result.

Top Bottom