First Hard Freeze

AboveBeyond

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It's expected to get 23F tomorrow night for me. However, I still have all of my trees (maples, pines, satskukis, junipers, quinces) out in my yard in their pots. There's already been a couple of light freezes nights but this is the first hard freeze. Should I keep them out in the yard or bring them into my unheated garage (where I normally winter them)? Thanks!

Last edited:

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
We are hitting 25 here tonight in North Ga....28 for a low last night....I brought all my small potted trees in last night...The larger ones stay outside...If we hit single digits again this year I will have to figure out something for the larger trees.

I would say it's time to bring them in....

Brian

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It's expected to get 23F tomorrow night for me. However, I still have all of my trees (maples, pines, satskukis, junipers, quinces) out in my yard in their pots. There's already been a couple of light freezes nights but this is the first hard freeze. Should I keep them out in the yard or bring them into my unheated garage (where I normally winter them)? Thanks!

< 30 degrees is below what is recommended for azaleas and JBP. Everything should be protected from wind below 30 deg. It is supposed to go down into the low 30s with wind chill into the 20s here tonight and I moved all mine into the garage except for 4 very hardy pines I know can handle it (they did it before).

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Here is our forecast for the next few days...unseasonably cold snap, but I'm not moving anything.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 81

AboveBeyond

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My trees should be okay with one night of low 20s?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Here is our forecast for the next few days...unseasonably cold snap, but I'm not moving anything.

My trees should be okay with one night of low 20s?

Cold hardy trees will sail through a night with temps in the low 20's without a problem. Still, temps like this in MA are a harbinger of things to come, and I would plan to bed them down for the winter shortly...I always did this Thanksgiving weekend in MA. For southern hobbyists like Brian and myself, the temps we're experiencing are actually cold by January standards, meaning it's unlikely to stay this way for long. It was 23 F yesterday AM, and all my trees including azaleas, maples, JBP and junipers in pond baskets, etc., stayed on the benches after a good watering, frozen solid all day long. It's due to fall into the upper teens next week, and I'll be watching the temps closely, but will likely not do anything.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I'm growing in far northeastern IL, half way between Milwaukee and Chicago. Last night the temp was scheduled to go to +17 F. We have already had a week of night temperatures in the 20's. Yesterday was the day I decided to move my Satsuki azaleas and JBP into the unheated well house. It is actually a below ground bump out of the foundation of the house. The roof of the well house is the patio in the back yard. A neat feature of an otherwise unremarkable small old house. Your trees will be fine, but do move them before it gets significantly colder.

Trees in my collection that are in larger grow pots, such as 15 x 15 x 5 Anderson trays, or 3 and 5 gallon nursery pots seem to be just as hardy as trees in the ground if they are moved to the shade and kept out of the wind. My zone 5 and zone 4 trees in these types of pots are wintered under my bonsai bench, with a tarp draped over for the winter. This seems to work well for larches, ponderosa pine, JWP and American white pine, jack pine, eastern hemlock, bur oak, Amelanchier, larger flowering quinces. Note, grafted trees are protected until the graft is more than 7 years old, the reason is that freeze thaw cycling can separate a partially fused graft union. It takes more than 5 years for a graft to fully fuse, at 10 years most grafts are fully fused.

Trees from zone 6 or warmer go into the well house.

Trees in pots are not as cold tolerant as the same species in the ground. Winter hardy trees do need a good cold snap to make sure they go dormant. I winter my trees in the dark, so I need to make sure they are fully dormant before they go into the well house. It is good to let them get a few hard freezes. The exception is if they are planted in pots that are not resistant to freezing.

Biggest problem with protecting bonsai from extreme cold is that winter storage tends to warm up too early in spring for the trees to go back outside. Not much you can do except keep them as cold as possible in spring until the weather outside is warm enough to put trees out.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I ended up taking all the trees in colanders off the benches and placed them on the ground, grouped together in my veggie garden. The soil in colanders dries out much faster then the soil in bonsai or nursery pots, and it's very dry, windy, and cold here and unlikely to get above freezing until tomorrow afternoon. The rest of my potted trees will stay on the benches. I'd actually like to put them all on the ground for the winter, but my 1 yr old pointer thinks they're better off on the benches:rolleyes:.

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
A question: for evergreens (I have an Azalea satsuki) isn't it an issue to spend the winter in a garage with no or very few light?

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ugh, way too early for this. 16 F last night, didn't get above about 22 F today with lots of wind. This is cold even for the middle of winter. Rushed to get all the smaller trees and less hardy ones into some kind of shelter. Some of the tougher ones (ponderosa, larch) are out dealing with it. Going to have to do a lot of rearranging of trees once this cold spell breaks, as I don't have things stored very efficiently.

Could be worse, though. About 60 miles west of here they are in the middle of an epic lake effect storm, 50" of snow since about 7 pm last night. Some places will probably top 70". In contrast, sun was out all day here, which was nice.

Chris

tmpgh

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ugh, way too early for this. 16 F last night, didn't get above about 22 F today with lots of wind. This is cold even for the middle of winter. Rushed to get all the smaller trees and less hardy ones into some kind of shelter. Some of the tougher ones (ponderosa, larch) are out dealing with it. Going to have to do a lot of rearranging of trees once this cold spell breaks, as I don't have things stored very efficiently.

Could be worse, though. About 60 miles west of here they are in the middle of an epic lake effect storm, 50" of snow since about 7 pm last night. Some places will probably top 70". In contrast, sun was out all day here, which was nice.

Chris

I'm in exactly the same situation, only I'm south of the lake effect rather than east. I'll have everything back out of shelter this weekend for arranging. I thought I'd have a few more weeks to get things ready... I have trees that haven't dropped leaves yet and it's in the teens at night...

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It shouldn't be a problem as long as the tree is dormant and the temperature in the garage stays below 40 F.

This shouldn't be a problem neither, freaking 14 F this morning! :(

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Gonna be 23 or so tonight. Ugh. All deciduous went into shed, all small size pines and junis into the shed, larger pines and junis stay on ground up against house until this weekend when I put them all on the ground, mulch up and wrap area in burlap wind protection. I hate this part of the year when everything goes to sleep and I'm left to wonder what's going on and what dieback/casualties I may have.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Whats the nest way to protect trees growing on rocks,i have satzukis at the base n cotoneaster at the top.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have them insulated now but not buried in mulch like my other trees,im worried if we get another winter like last,the rock planting might need further protection,this is my first rock planting,thanks

AboveBeyond

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I brought all of my trees inside my unheated garage. They endured below freezing for the last 3 of 4 days (sub 32f). Hopefully, I didn't over due it to get them into dormant mode. :eek:

Great Falcon

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm getting as of right now 23, I got almost everything in a cold greenhouse, and what I couldn't fit in I put them all together push some leafs around them and put a plastic over them I've done that before and didn't lost any of them.

Skinnygoomba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have buried most in the ground in their pots and mulched over. I have small pines in big containers 17" x 17" on the ground and have mulched them about 3" up the trunks, I'll probably move them next to the house today.

I'm nervous to put these in the garage because we get unseasonably warm weeks as often as unseasonably cold. This week highs are in the 30's next week highs are in the 60's and 70's. So I think I will instead do burlap and mulch around the containers and leave them outside for the winter. I wish I had more room to bury these.

Top Bottom