First JBP

bobbywett

Mame
Reaction score
Hershey, PA Plant Zone 6b South Central PA
USDA Zone
6b
Hello Folks,

Based on the advice I received from this thread https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/jbp-vs-jwp.39819/#post-672925 I wen't out and purchased my first JBP.

It's got a 3" + trunks and lots of low branches, so I think it will make good bonsai material ... I hope?

I don't believe I'll do much to her this year, but next year I was going to try and air layer a few trees from her. I've never done an air layer of any sort, so it will be scary.

Any suggestions on what you folks might do with her would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bobby

Attachments

• 6FAAB63C-8D3A-4E38-B61D-2DF1185AD855.JPG
    6FAAB63C-8D3A-4E38-B61D-2DF1185AD855.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 9D67D8DF-FC1B-4046-BB91-718EADBFDD94.JPG
    9D67D8DF-FC1B-4046-BB91-718EADBFDD94.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 212CB5E4-4EE5-4E76-BF0F-75A369D40DF4.JPG
    212CB5E4-4EE5-4E76-BF0F-75A369D40DF4.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_8194.JPG
    IMG_8194.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_8195.JPG
    IMG_8195.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_8196.JPG
    IMG_8196.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_8197.JPG
    IMG_8197.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 51

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'd be more concerned with repotting into good soil and eliminating branches than trying to propagate via airlayering ...a tree that's pretty reticent to allow that. If you've never airlayered, try something more forgiving.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I agree. You won’t be able to airlayer that.

Your job is to find the trunk line.

That actually looks like it might have some potential!

bobbywett

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'd be more concerned with repotting into good soil and eliminating branches than trying to propagate via airlayering ...a tree that's pretty reticent to allow that. If you've never airlayered, try something more forgiving.

I agree. You won’t be able to airlayer that.

Your job is to find the trunk line.

That actually looks like it might have some potential!

I've been reading that heavy pruning and wiring should be done in the fall; so I suppose that is what i'll be doing.

Would it be ok for me to re-pot in the spring or should I give her a season to recover from the heavy pruning and wiring?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've been reading that heavy pruning and wiring should be done in the fall; so I suppose that is what i'll be doing.

Would it be ok for me to re-pot in the spring or should I give her a season to recover from the heavy pruning and wiring?
Wait and see. It depends. On how much foliage you remove. Trees need foliage to live, it’s what makes the food. If you remove too much, the tree will have little food to grow.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was watching these dudes catch Rattlers in PA yesterday.

I'd repot it before cutting and take it to Walter and Jim at Nature's Way to figure it out.

There is potential. Potential to Fuck up!
Don't!

Looks nice.

Sorce

bobbywett

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Wait and see. It depends. On how much foliage you remove. Trees need foliage to live, it’s what makes the food. If you remove too much, the tree will have little food to grow.

That makes perfect sense. Perhaps I'll remove just a few branches this fall and try and contemplate the silhouette and growth pattern for a few seasons.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That sounds like a great idea ...!

I certainly hope you can.

I was out looking at some things today by thinking about this balance of work to be done and health to be kept.

Since work removes health.
And health destroys design.

This....
Perhaps I'll remove just a few branches this fall and try and contemplate the silhouette and growth pattern for a few seasons.
Sounds out of balance.

You can contemplate everything without cutting. Draw pictures if necessary, even crude pictures, or stick figures as @Smoke teaches will help without the need to remove.
Then you must remove the correct branches.
And you can figure out the growth pattern by studying what is there now. Just go back in time.

This way you can make one correct move.

Sorce

bobbywett

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I certainly hope you can.

I was out looking at some things today by thinking about this balance of work to be done and health to be kept.

Since work removes health.
And health destroys design.

This....

Sounds out of balance.

You can contemplate everything without cutting. Draw pictures if necessary, even crude pictures, or stick figures as @Smoke teaches will help without the need to remove.
Then you must remove the correct branches.
And you can figure out the growth pattern by studying what is there now. Just go back in time.

This way you can make one correct move.

Sorce

Natures Way Nursery is offering their annual class with Walter Paul and Jim Doyle ... you can attend for either 1 day or all three. I've been contemplating pulling the trigger on this for several years ... perhaps this will be the year?

bobbywett

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Natures Way Nursery is offering their annual class with Walter Paul and Jim Doyle ... you can attend for either 1 day or all three. I've been contemplating pulling the trigger on this for several years ... perhaps this will be the year?

Just signed up for all three days ... It's my early Christmas present.

Thanks for the suggestion Sorce.

Top Bottom