First Juniper advice

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
0ED16482-C6A1-4287-A3D8-F3F453F1F07E.jpeg I purchased a Juniper at my local nursery. I am a beginner and I have been doing a lot of reading and looking a photos of other juniper bonsai. The one that I purchased was very over grown and root bound. I like a challenge I guess. This is what I cam up with after pruning today. I would like advice on where to go from here. I have done a little wiring to get the trunks to stand up and lean to one direction. I would like it to all flow and turn out some what nice. Suggestions other that toss it and start over are welcome :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Where to go from here...thats tough. Go buy another one. This one needs a long time to recover from your drastic pruning. I'd suggest a dwarf garden juniper to butcher next..

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cut the left branch off at the end of next growing season. Cut the lower right branch in half about a month after it starts to extend in the spring.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Is turning this into a multi trunk bonsai complete out of the question? That is sort of what I was going for. When I pruned away all of the over growth and dead stuff that is kind of what I was going for. I know it has a very long road ahead of it but I would hate to give up on it already.

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
IMO, you should have cleaned all the dead foliage and left most of the young lower growth on it.
You pruned all that off and messed with the roots also? Did you cut any roots?
My juniper i have about that size took over a year to recover from a nursery pot re-potting. All i did was clip a few long branches off, clean the dead stuff off to give it more light and a chance to backbud.
That wire looks too small to stay in place, I bet it just goes back in place.
Twisted is right, you should leave it alone and see how it turns out.
What zone are you?
I'm not an expert by any means...I don't see how you are making that a multi-trunk. You chopped the lower left branch off, if you wanted twin trunk you should have left more on it IMO.
I suppose if you bent the left branch and the right main trunk up...seems like a lot of work hehe.
Others here would know better than me.

theone420

Shohin
Reaction score
did you remove the soil from the roots? or just did the trimming?

I know my first juniper I removed the soil from the roots and that was a very bad idea. about a 3 weeks later all the foliage just went crispy and the tree died.

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
did you remove the soil from the roots? or just did the trimming?

I know my first juniper I removed the soil from the roots and that was a very bad idea. about a 3 weeks later all the foliage just went crispy and the tree died.
I dunno, i took a few of mine out of the soil and they were fine. It doesn't take long to find out if a Juniper will live though. :D

Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's a very poor multiple trunk. Trunks should come out closer together near the base, be of different sizes with one clear dominant trunk. The negative space between them needs to be designed and cohesive. This tree has none of that. An informal upright is better suited to this tree. Multiple trunk style is no for the novice. Sorry, but perhaps honesty will save you future frustration.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Is turning this into a multi trunk bonsai complete out of the question? That is sort of what I was going for. When I pruned away all of the over growth and dead stuff that is kind of what I was going for. I know it has a very long road ahead of it but I would hate to give up on it already.

The problem here, as Twisted Trees mentions, is that you don't have three "trunks" but rather a 3 exageratedly upright branches coming out one trunk. For a multitrunk style, they need to.come out from way closer to the ground. Look at some pictures of good examples of multitrunk trees and you will see what I am trying to say. This tree could be an informal upright and perhaps a cascade, but it needs time to recover. This is not the best time of the year to be repotting and doing root work either. If it makes it, I would leave it alone for a year at least, so it can heal and regain strength. Good luck!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thank you all for the honest opinions and advice. I hate to throw this tree out. How would I make it into an informal upright or other style. I am going to leave it alone as suggested but when the time comes I would like to do what is best for the tree. I will get another and try again I guess sometime. The wind is gone from my sails on this one. I just want to save it now

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I wouldn't throw it out, you just have to see if it makes it. You just did too much at once. It wouldn't be as big of a deal with a deciduous.
But re-potting would be enough stress without cutting what looks like 50-75%. You can only do so much in one season.
Conifers slow down this time of year.
Long ways from styling.
I worry about re-potting, getting the roots out of a knot, and keeping conifers alive...i haven't even got to much of a styling phase yet other than trying to keep the growth in check.

music~maker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thank you all for the honest opinions and advice. I hate to throw this tree out. How would I make it into an informal upright or other style. I am going to leave it alone as suggested but when the time comes I would like to do what is best for the tree. I will get another and try again I guess sometime. The wind is gone from my sails on this one. I just want to save it now
I think we probably all started by over-pruning something - don't sweat it. It's a completely normal part of the learning curve. It takes a few iterations before you start to get a sense for how they grow and what you should keep and what you should chop. If it's any consolation, I moderate a fairly large bonsai forum over on reddit, and I see pictures of butchered trees all the time.

For next time:

- Work junipers slowly. Set an initial direction, then leave them along to recover.
- Shorten branches, don't remove them
- Don't remove more than 25-30% of the foliage at once. Then give them at least a year to recover.
- Low branches are your friend. Even if you're not sure how you might use them, keep them anyway.
- Junipers do back bud over time, but you need to leave them alone and let them do it.
- The wire you used isn't thick enough for the branches it's on. You want to add movement on those branches closer to the trunk. 1/3 the thickness of the branch for aluminum wire and 1/4 the thickness of the branch for copper.
- With junipers especially, I like to think in terms of 3-5 year blocks of time, not 1-2 year blocks. No rush.
- Once you're certain this is healthy, you can chase the foliage back by slowly by shortening the branches a bit and then waiting for new growth to come in
- As new growth comes in lower on the tree, leave it alone

If this one survives the process and the winter, it will likely fill back in, but it could easily take 3-4 years. If it doesn't make it, chock it up to a learning experience. We all kill trees sometimes. I've probably killed more trees over the years than most people will ever own.

I generally recommend that people get at least 2-3 trees to start in any case so that no one tree gets too much attention. No need to throw this away - you'll learn from watching it grow back in if nothing else.

Good luck!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also for future reference.....

If that base is for real....
And not just roots and dirt....
That is a great base to be looking for!

On that tree....as it was...I would have kept that first left stubbed branch as a new leader for 3-4 years down the road....and kept ALL the foliage to the right of the trunk bend just to keep it healthy.

The most important thing to remember about junipers is most of their strength is in the running shoots...
Being that you still have 4...
You should be golden! But always leave as many as you can! Especially on parts of the tree that will be removed later.

With deadwood a key feature of junipers....
You can revisit this tree in 5-35 years and torque it down to beautiful again.

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks for the advice. I went out to Home Depot today to get some trim for the house and I picked up a blue pacific juniper. It is very small. It was $3.97. I will post a picture and hopefully get some advice for it. I’m not going to touch until I do. :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
AFE39355-9401-4C36-856D-07F84A9B3EFA.jpeg I took everyone’s advice into consideration and purchased another juniper while my monstrosity that I “created” hopefully recovers. It is very small and I left most of the foliage intact and only trimmed it a little. I did an initial shaping. Please tell me that I redeemed myself just a little.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This is the same tree from the original post. I learned a lot over the past year about myself and about Bonsai. This tree still has a long road ahead but it is miles from the shit creek that I started it off in. It has a new planting angle and I gave it some shape tonight. I just couldn't bring myself to toss my very first try last year. As always, open to advice for this tree in the future. For now it will rest and hopefully grow.
First Juniper.jpg

Top Bottom