First Juniper Bonsai attempt. Copper Delight?

Conrad

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4B
Got this guy from the garden store and attempted to make a bonsai. It was called a Copper Delight juniper?

img_6811.jpg

img_4411.jpg

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Conrad welcome. Do you have a question? Also folks will be better able to help you if you add your location to your profile.

Conrad

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4B
Hey thanks. I added my location. Im in Zone 4B. I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about the Copper Delight juniper? I read online after I bought it that it can only expect to live 30 years. Is it not very hardy? I thought junipers would live alot longer than that. But hey if I can keep this one alive for 30 years I will be very happy.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I do not own any but what I read says they are very hardy and I only found one thirty year reference which honest I find a bit amusing. It seems that in different climates plants have different habits. Where I am for instance I had an orchard at our old place and the trees were much older then expected to live and are healthy. Longevity is a toss of the dice in my opinion. I am more concerned you did so much work to yours at once after/during repot. That is a LOT of stress and would advise to be very gentle with it for at least a year.

Grimmy

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Conrad, Yeah, my first reaction was WOW! LOL, for future works a general, no more than a third rule, is used for root and/or foliage reduction. Why is this? Glad you asked, because I'm pretty sure your tree will survive as many of the junies I did this to in my early days have also survived, barely maybe, but they hung on and did come back.

Ok, the thing is, we're not just going for survival, we need our trees to be robust, in optimal health and bursting with new growth. It is in this condition you can do your best work without slowing down the progress of the tree or endangering the health of the tree.

What's done is done and you can never go back for a new start, you can only go forward and make a new end. You have a nice abrupt bend to start and I'd put some nice jaunts in that long sweeper you have the wire on already. Try to get a branch on the outside of each bend. Your wire is a little streched out, too. Go to bonsai4me.com and look at wiring how to.

Myself I don't care for full cascade unless there's a really cool trunk to come off of. Just me, but I think with smaller pieces a top knot distracts somewhat from the smaller trunk. Looks a bit naked up there and if you got nothing to show best to keep your pants on. A good show for first time outta the gate. Learn from it and get another one, it's on! Rick

Top Bottom