First Juniper (Newbie)

Artifice

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
It still looks healthy and is producing growing tips same as the picture above. Trimmed a few spots to air it out but it still looks like its healthy. So, Im guessing im still good with this tree. And what do you mean by what does the foliage feel like? Sorry, what feeling do I need to have for me to know that it is still healthy?

Artifice

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
One thing's for certain, that wire needs to go and carefully, not to re-bend the cambium layer.
The moss and weeds would be a benefit also if they were gone,
unless there's a specific reason you put or allowed the moss there.
Yes, I am planning to remove the wire and repot it but haven't got the time yet. That's on my to do list for this tree. Thank you. :)

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It still looks healthy and is producing growing tips same as the picture above. Trimmed a few spots to air it out but it still looks like its healthy. So, Im guessing im still good with this tree. And what do you mean by what does the foliage feel like? Sorry, what feeling do I need to have for me to know that it is still healthy?
What the foliage feels like: is it very dry and brittle (this is not healthy)
If it is softer and more pliable, that's healthy.

Artifice

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
What the foliage feels like: is it very dry and brittle (this is not healthy)
If it is softer and more pliable, that's healthy.
Ah yes, the foliage is soft and pliable. So I believe this is still healthy. Maybe I could use this opportunity to create a shari (confused shari and jin in the previous post) in the future. Thank you for the help.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I still would not repot this year. It has been styled and wired and is rather thin with foliage, not
a lot of Sun to gather.

Repotting could truly set this tree back...or worse

Artifice

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
I still would not repot this year. It has been styled and wired and is rather thin with foliage, not
a lot of Sun to gather.

Repotting could truly set this tree back...or worse

I understand. Will remove wire first, then wait until next year to repot?

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I understand. Will remove wire first, then wait until next year to repot?
Yes you betchya :)...and then you're gonna need to resist the urge thereafter to prune and keep it in the confines of
the current shape and size that it is.

Don't be shy to ditch the wire till Autumn. Then wiring will be at your hands. You will know that part of the trees life.
Being new to the world of bonsai please allow me a moment to give you a heads up on removing the wire.
It's so easy to damage the tree if you're not familiar with applying the wire to begin with.
When we wire, we feel both ends of the wire at some point. Are familiar with torque and how there's a reaction
for each action. It's really simple, but cut a wire where you see the least contact between it and the trunk/branch.
Often times this will be at the nebari and at a juncture of a branch. Look for a similar point along the length of the wire
and cut there also. You may need to lift both ends of the wire, but do NOT allow the wire to spin on/around its' length.
That increases the rick of stripping bark across desirable places to not damage, breaks buds off, and so on.
The idea is to cut off all the wire if possible having not wired a tree before, since you just are getting in.

When you must unravel the wire, from around the wood, by all means, keep even pressure with both hands.
If your left hand unravels in a counterclockwise direction, then feel with your right hand, a clockwise direction
of equal pressure (maybe not moving, but keeping the pressure equal).
Then when the ends open a gap big enough to clear the wood simply slide off.
It may be a half turn of wire or it may be a few coils of wiring. You'll know.
I often use needle nose pliers at both ends when I have to, till I can get it started enough to
get my fingers on the wire, or just cut again and again.
EDIT: or you may only lift one end of the wire, and with the opposite hand, pinch the wire against the wood
(between thumb and forefinger) one coil from the moving/beginning point of unravel, and feel, to be sure
that the wire is not moving in an unwanted way. It varies from one coiling to the next what might work best for you.

For procumbens, if the wire has bitten in and leaves its' mark, no worries. It should outgrow that in time.
Yours looks to be mostly snug at this point, which allows absolutely no room to grow without the wire biting in. It's time...

Last edited:

Artifice

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
Yes you betchya :)...and then you're gonna need to resist the urge thereafter to prune and keep it in the confines of
the current shape and size that it is.

Don't be shy to ditch the wire till Autumn. Then wiring will be at your hands. You will know that part of the trees life.
Being new to the world of bonsai please allow me a moment to give you a heads up on removing the wire.
It's so easy to damage the tree if you're not familiar with applying the wire to begin with.
When we wire, we feel both ends of the wire at some point. Are familiar with torque and how there's a reaction
for each action. It's really simple, but cut a wire where you see the least contact between it and the trunk/branch.
Often times this will be at the nebari and at a juncture of a branch. Look for a similar point along the length of the wire
and cut there also. You may need to lift both ends of the wire, but do NOT allow the wire to spin on/around its' length.
That increases the rick of stripping bark across desirable places to not damage, breaks buds off, and so on.
The idea is to cut off all the wire if possible having not wired a tree before, since you just are getting in.

When you must unravel the wire, from around the wood, by all means, keep even pressure with both hands.
If your left hand unravels in a counterclockwise direction, then feel with your right hand, a clockwise direction
of equal pressure (maybe not moving, but keeping the pressure equal).
Then when the ends open a gap big enough to clear the wood simply slide off.
It may be a half turn of wire or it may be a few coils of wiring. You'll know.
I often use needle nose pliers at both ends when I have to, till I can get it started enough to
get my fingers on the wire, or just cut again and again.
EDIT: or you may only lift one end of the wire, and with the opposite hand, pinch the wire against the wood
(between thumb and forefinger) one coil from the moving/beginning point of unravel, and feel, to be sure
that the wire is not moving in an unwanted way. It varies from one coiling to the next what might work best for you.

For procumbens, if the wire has bitten in and leaves its' mark, no worries. It should outgrow that in time.
Yours looks to be mostly snug at this point, which allows absolutely no room to grow without the wire biting in. It's time...

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation. Very informative. Alright. Will follow your advice.

And yes, I'll try and resist the urge to prune after removing the wire. Haha!

Top Bottom