First Juniper suggestions to improve

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
This is my first juniper I have ever done. Can you give me some suggestions on how to improve or change it.

Thanks

Sept2011003.jpg

Sept2011002.jpg

Sept2011001.jpg

Sept2011004.jpg

Last edited:

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
Quit cutting and LOOK at the tree. Make sure it's going to survive your care. STUDY the tree. Get to know its shape and try to sketch what it could look like.

You could probably get away with " pinching " the tips to induce some back budding. In the spring get a plastic pot about the size of the nursery pot and start changing the soil to bonsai soil. I use a mix of academa , pumice and lave 1:1:1. Only do one side of the root ball then in '13 you can do the other side.

If you don't already belong to a club join one and go to all the workshops. Take your juniper when you can.

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
could someone point out some could happen if this was mine scenerios? I really would like to know the path to go down...IM STUCK !

Please help me out

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The hard part is that what is involved in helping you amounts to a Bonsai 101 & Design 101. Much easier to have a conversation about than it is to type... cuz believe me, it would be a lot of typing. Hence why people ask you to seek out local experts.

Read this post on helpfulgardener.com... I once was trying to help out some newer learners on another forum... it might help with some of your more basic questions. http://www.helpfulgardener.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=32206

In this next thread we got into a discussion about design concepts... http://www.helpfulgardener.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=32122

This last thread had very useful conversation in general which you might find helpful...
http://www.helpfulgardener.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23461&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

The most basic problem with the tree at the moment is that the foliage is very long and linear, the lower branches are tightly spaced together where they will eventually swell and distort the shape of the tree if they are all left as they are, and it's a fairly smallish tree. For the mass of the trunk, your crown shape would be closer to the trunk where you don't have as much foliage because it's all out on the long sections which you don't want/need. So your job is to learn horticulture first... design concepts second. Dont worry about designing this tree... learn how to make it respond to you by chasing that foliage back closer to the trunk. Because it's a juniper it'll tend to want to sprout new growth most strongly from the crotches of the branches. Constant feeding in the growning season will create fantastic results for growth and back-budding. But in the end - like early next summer - branches must be selected and significantly shortened with a heavy feeding schedule to get foliage where you need it... but not now... right now keep it happy... and work on chasing back that foliage.
THEN... you can work on adding interesting movement to branches. I rarely work a tree I haven't had for 3-4 seasons... I get it to optimal health, and then work on design. But i have lots of trees... so giving them time causes me no pain. ;)

Kindest regards,

Victrinia

Reaction score
remist17, you might change the angle of your plant in the potting... don't do this now because winter is comming, wait until spring. Then I would head towards this type of shape. Besides better wiring, you are going to have to let this grow some like the others have said... hopefully this will help!!!

Top Bottom