First Juniper tree, styling help & advice

Merlotlo

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hello all!

I got an Amazon gift card for my birthday and decided, why not, I'll get a juniper bonsai for $30 off Brussel's Bonsai. This is the tree I got a couple days ago. I'm not in love with the shape and having a hard time figuring out a direction I could go with it.
I've been watering it daily and it's been getting morning sun with some afternoon shade. I live in Salem, OR. Seems to be doing good so far. All the pruning that has been done to it was before I got it. I only got rid of a tiny Branch that was dead, less than an inch.

I'll attach some photos from different angels if y'all could maybe help me decide which is the front and some direction and where to take it in the future. Thank you!255221255222255223

Attachments

• 20190730_095752.jpg
    20190730_095752.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 31

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
All branches seem pretty young.
So I'd say: go get some thick copper wire and start twisting that trunk into a shape. Then grow those branches to fit the design, or cut them off to fit the design.
For most junipers, the golden rule is to do wiring when the bark isn't slipping off like old socks, so fall, early winter, late winter or early spring.

Keep as much foliage as possible, and it will reward you with a plethora of design options next year.

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It seems like the trunk was being grown out to add thickness. At some point you will need to choose a new leader but right now you need to grow branches like @wires said. Have you researched local bonsai clubs they can help you get started because it is easier to work in 3D.

Mame-Mo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
All branches seem pretty young.
So I'd say: go get some thick copper wire and start twisting that trunk into a shape. Then grow those branches to fit the design, or cut them off to fit the design.
For most junipers, the golden rule is to do wiring when the bark isn't slipping off like old socks, so fall, early winter, late winter or early spring.

Keep as much foliage as possible, and it will reward you with a plethora of design options next year.
Seconded - you might not get all the movement you want in one go, but you can bend more over time.

This tree was a straight stick going off to the right, and overt he course of a year (initially bending with raffia) I was able to get alot of movement in it. It's admittedly much younger though.

Attachments

• bonsai-cannon.jpg
    bonsai-cannon.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 34
Top Bottom