First Korean Hornbeam

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Splurged and picked up this hornbeam, liked the lower trunk, think I could do something with it.. just sharing, open to suggestions. Love/hate the moss, will at least remove near the trunk proper.

Brent

Attachments

• 4353B4DC-4F39-4AC6-B85A-6D030EE9681F.jpeg
    4353B4DC-4F39-4AC6-B85A-6D030EE9681F.jpeg
    137.3 KB · Views: 178

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sweet find! That moss is lush. Local find or shipped in?
The tree came from Rob Hoffman (Yume-en bonsai) in Columbus, came down to this and a pair of maples. He's a member of our club, very active with workshops, has great trees - worth a trip if you're anywhere close.
Edit- the moss is natural, he said he's fighting it actually, very happy at his place..

B

Brad in GR

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think I saw them at the Michigan all-state show in Grand Rapids… believe I bought a engelmann spruce from him! Very cool. Talked to them for a while, had some great trees. Good luck with this one, I don’t have much to add, taper is nice, perhaps reduce a little bit off the top?

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think I saw them at the Michigan all-state show in Grand Rapids… believe I bought a engelmann spruce from him! Very cool. Talked to them for a while, had some great trees. Good luck with this one, I don’t have much to add, taper is nice, perhaps reduce a little bit off the top?
That sounds like him, pretty sure he made that trip, Chicago, Nationals..
I think I agree about the top, mostly just going to keep it healthy this year, wire most of the branching out.
I like look of that chop, but I also like the idea of a shorter tree maybe cutting near that cork - that's a decision for way down the road.
Happy New year's,
B

Last edited:

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Growing fairly aggressively, this is after spring wiring and a recent trim. Looking for round or oval pot, like this as the front - thanks, Sergio for that insight.

B

Attachments

• C048BFEA-F5CB-4FD3-A971-96C19836B371.jpeg
    C048BFEA-F5CB-4FD3-A971-96C19836B371.jpeg
    367.7 KB · Views: 99

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I found this out from Ross Adams, gave me a chance to change the front slightly... Next year I'll writer the top more. Someone has been nibbling on, disappointed...

B

Attachments

• 52C3FCD8-68A8-42F1-9DF1-ABC8498E96A3.jpeg
    52C3FCD8-68A8-42F1-9DF1-ABC8498E96A3.jpeg
    351.8 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Not bad.. I will say if it were my tree next season if focus on growth and cutting away the edges of wound and sealing it up. Same with the stub .. you can even do that now.. grind it down to start the healing process. … branches at top emanate as three… over time choose one to remove and focus on a new apex But nice overall

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not bad.. I will say if it were my tree next season if focus on growth and cutting away the edges of wound and sealing it up. Same with the stub .. you can even do that now.. grind it down to start the healing process. … branches at top emanate as three… over time choose one to remove and focus on a new apex But nice overall
That wound is on my radar for sure, want to shape it and then get some paste on it... I'm a little unsure about the apex, figure that's something to ponder over winter.

B

Top Bottom