First little elm forest

USDA Zone
8a
Got this extremely cheap pot as a gift. I drilled two wire holes. The elms were growing in a random forgotten nursery pot. Moss was collected last year and the soil I used was the smallest size (probably 3mm-4mm) I keep from my normal mix. This was just on a whim so there was no real plan. I just tried to remember how nicer large forest plantings were spaced out from online images. In all there are 4 seedlings and 7 saplings between 1-2 years old.

Hopefully it starts looking decent in 5 years.

IMG_20190204_145513.jpg

IMG_20190204_154319.jpg

For no plan and everything being randomly collected, I think the result is acceptable.

Cheers

USDA Zone
Cheers indeed. Might think about putting a loop at the end of your wire so your trees dont slip the wire.

USDA Zone
8a
I forgot to snap pics of the finished wire. The thick wire is secured at two ends to the pot. I took out the thick wire and wrapped each tree wire a couple times to the thick wire, on the bottom. Only ones not wired are the 4 seedlings. If the trees get ripped out I won't have a roof on the house either ;D

just.wing.it

Imperial Masterpiece
USDA Zone
6B
Cool!
I have that same pot....
If I recall it was a cheap Amazon find, sold as bonsai pot, but mine has no holes. Been sitting in the garage for years.
I have a 3/4" and an 1/8" diamond hole bits....maybe I'll finally get around to drilling mine out this spring.

Thanks for the inspiration!

USDA Zone
Cool!
I have that same pot....
If I recall it was a cheap Amazon find, sold as bonsai pot, but mine has no holes. Been sitting in the garage for years.
I have a 3/4" and an 1/8" diamond hole bits....maybe I'll finally get around to drilling mine out this spring.

Thanks for the inspiration!
I also have this pot with no holes. It is from pre Amazon days. I have probably had it about 20 to 25 years, possibly longer. It has had a scholar stone in it at least 20 to 25 years.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
bonsaidave Elms 1
D New to Bonsai 2
fviljoen963 Elms 13
Lauren Shisler Elms 1
Eric Group General Discussion 7