First mountain landscape thing

Mashu

Sapling
Reaction score
I have always been fascinated with the idea of creating a miniature landscape, so I decided I would try one out myself. I couldn't find any good rocks, so I attempted to make my own. I used some styrofoam that I got for free from a furniture store and covered it with some left over concrete I had in my garage to get the initial "mountain" shape. Being too scared to use any trees I'm actually attached to, I bought a few 3 dollar starter trees and planted them on my homemade rock. After that, I took some moss from a sidewalk and stuck it to the soil. I don't have a large enough pot for it currently, so it's sitting in a plastic tray for the time being. I was thinking it's not too bad for a beginners attempt to create a landscape! What do you guys think?
IMG_20181105_174047.jpg
IMG_20181112_164027.jpg
IMG_20181112_174548.jpg

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nicely created. Overtime outdoors in the elements it should weather really well and give you an aged appearance. Concrete ages nicely forming gradations of greys and blacks naturally.
Ha! I'm trying to figure out that pumpkin growing in the back left side of photo number two.
Landscapes fascinate me too....but I have not yet created one. The miniature detail opportunities interest me....maybe it’s a leftover from days of building and detailing plastic model cars.

Mashu

Sapling
Reaction score
I'm very excited to see how this will age over time! the single tone right now sort of kills the illusion, but I'm hoping it will really come into itself in the future! Unfortunately, outdoors isn't the best place for it right now since the serissas I planted are semi-tropical and it's getting mighty cold out there. I think, in the meantime, I will continue trying to make nice mountain shapes for more plantings like this.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm very excited to see how this will age over time! the single tone right now sort of kills the illusion, but I'm hoping it will really come into itself in the future! Unfortunately, outdoors isn't the best place for it right now since the serissas I planted are semi-tropical and it's getting mighty cold out there. I think, in the meantime, I will continue trying to make nice mountain shapes for more plantings like this.
I think you need to find some Virginia local tree or brush material so you can age it better outdoors. Seeing your creation in all the seasons would be cool. Good start for experimenting.

Top Bottom