first old gold juniper from nursery stock

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
My first styling of a juniper I am hoping to make it into an informal upright. I did Shari on front of trunk and jin on the branch above. There was another branch below the branch I did the jin on and tied them together. I don't know if I should have waited to do the jin and Shari. if anyone has suggestions or comments please feel free to comment.
20180822_025721.jpg20180822_025738.jpg20180822_025721.jpg20180822_025759.jpg

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Welcome
First tip add your location to your profile. It will help people give you advice.

I will preface this with the fact i have only been in the hobby 2 seasons but here are some things I am noticing. Your juniper is very skinny and lacks taper. You will hear about rules of design with bonsai. A key one is taper. A general rule of thumb is the tree should be 6 to 10 times taller than it is wide. Another is branch location. In your case you have quite a few coming out of the top. It is hard to even see the jin. My best advice is to find a local bonsai club or class. Also for an informal upright the trunk should have more movement.

Dont be discouraged it is great you took your first steps.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@durandura001 I don't see the jin, sorry.
Can you get more like this one where it came from?

Keep more foliage closer into the trunk next time, and this one is top heavy which will deprive and weaken lower most
important branches. Easy enough fix, but had you included some history and current facts, I might say go ahead and remove
more upper foliage. However, if it's been repotted this year, I would not recommend that yet.

Welcome aboard, and please update your profile to include your general location at least, and your USDA grow zone.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@durandura001 I don't see the jin, sorry.
Can you get more like this one where it came from?

Keep more foliage closer into the trunk next time, and this one is top heavy which will deprive and weaken lower most
important branches. Easy enough fix, but had you included some history and current facts, I might say go ahead and remove
more upper foliage. However, if it's been repotted this year, I would not recommend that yet.

Welcome aboard, and please update your profile to include your general location at least, and your USDA grow zone.

thanks for your input.
I bought the tree at Lowes.
I pruned off about 6-7 small weak branches.
your right I should have kept more foliage closer to trunk. my zone is 7b and I have not reported. I am waiting until spring for that. I will attach more pictures in a few days to show different views. I think I may have messed this one up but I am going to just leave it alone for a while.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think it's pretty cool how the style changed between the 2 last photos without wire. ^5
The style didn’t change at all between the last 2 photos. Only the viewpoint changed. The pot has been rotated in relation to the viewer.

Top Bottom