First olive

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Olive was one of the species still on my list i want to have
Every nursery visit this year i browsed trough the olives availible but never found one that i liked
Today i was at a nursery with my wife and once again i was disapointed with the olives they had but then tucked away in a corner i saw one standing between some other stuff wich looked different then all the others i seen so far and for only 24€ i couldnt resist here are some pics and a video of the tree i brought home today

20171008_160653.jpg 20171008_160656.jpg 20171008_191600.jpg 20171008_191618.jpg

For now il just shelter it from rain since it is in potting soil and get it trough winter and let my wife and kids enjoy the olives

In Spring it will be repotted into wel draining soil and ill see if the multitrunk thing i see in it will work out after some chops

Any sugestions are apriciated!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looks to me like the last large image before the video has some potential as the front. I would wait till after spring is over and summer is in full swing to do the work on this. They like being potted and pruned when active growth is occurring during the warmer parts of the year.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looks to me like the last large image before the video has some potential as the front. I would wait till after spring is over and summer is in full swing to do the work on this. They like being potted and pruned when active growth is occurring during the warmer parts of the year.

i agree but the second large one has my interest too
ill do a virt to explain chopping of one part will reveal the little trunk on the right at last pic

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I like olive it.

sorry, had to.

this and in a free draining mix

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@Giga & @JudyB
virt part 1

olijf virt 1.jpg

will work on virt now but this is my idea sort off
in video from 0:15 till 0:20 you can see the rotation to get small trunk visible

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Pretty nice virt you have, it's certainly a good place to start. Just be careful to grow your apexes back toward the front, you may even want to tip it forward when you repot into that free draining soil. ;)

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Some while back i pruned it back some to encourage to backbud down lower that seems to work now it realy started to green up !
Not sure on when to repot this one tough any advice?
20180607_190448.jpg20180607_190515.jpg20180607_190611.jpg20180607_190622.jpg

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
... ...Not sure on when to repot this one tough any advice?
We were talking with @Wires_Guy_wires in an other thread about how hot is now in the Netherlands.
Olives like to get repotted when the weather is hotter than early spring.
But I do question your Dutch weather right now...
I'm afraid I cannot advise you. If the tree was here with me at 34°C I wouldn't repot.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
We were talking with @Wires_Guy_wires in an other thread about how hot is now in the Netherlands.
Olives like to get repotted when the weather is hotter than early spring.
But I do question your Dutch weather right now...
I'm afraid I cannot advise you. If the tree was here with me at 34°C I wouldn't repot.

Yes its hot for the time of year for sure today was 28 °c but in my backyard it often is a bit warmer due to no wind there thnx for the response tough it makes me think about it so i do this right its my first olive so ill talk to my teacher and see what he has to say about it ill let you know here what he says !

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

I’ve been looking for some solid advice on pruning an olive..
Mine has just started sending out new growth, it’s right up along the long branches though which I gotta cut off.. just was never sure when to prune!
I wanna prune it back quite a bit, just dunno when..
So during active growth, you think pruning now would induce back budding?

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yes its hot for the time of year for sure today was 28 °c but in my backyard it often is a bit warmer due to no wind there thnx for the response tough it makes me think about it so i do this right its my first olive so ill talk to my teacher and see what he has to say about it ill let you know here what he says !

I’d be especially interested. Seems like an uncommon species on this forum and it’s much of an unknown to me too :).
One thing for sure, I should have cut mine back earlier cos it’s got real think long branches now.
A448D20B-B4E2-493C-B10A-52D0045F8215.jpegF6398C9D-2D9C-48F6-AD6F-7FBE7D202242.jpegB89AA067-C3D8-42FA-879E-C125436DEB48.jpeg
Can see how all new growth is up by the tips.. whereas this one sorely needs back budding.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I’d be especially interested. Seems like an uncommon species on this forum and it’s much of an unknown to me too :).
One thing for sure, I should have cut mine back earlier cos it’s got real think long branches now.
View attachment 195755View attachment 195756View attachment 195757
Can see how all new growth is up by the tips.. whereas this one sorely needs back budding.

There must be info somewere from @Adair M i think he posted quite a couple nice olives on bnut

If you aint gonna repot i think youl be able to cut it back now !

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Now, now, now!

Repot when they are actively growing. You can be quite hard on them. Bare root it, get all the way under the trunk and cut off any downward growing roots.

I’ll seach for photos.

Next week, I’ll be at Boon’s and I will repot a Shohin olive I plan to take to the Nationals this year.

I’ll document the process.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Now, now, now!

Repot when they are actively growing. You can be quite hard on them. Bare root it, get all the way under the trunk and cut off any downward growing roots.

I’ll seach for photos.

Next week, I’ll be at Boon’s and I will repot a Shohin olive I plan to take to the Nationals this year.

I’ll document the process.

Thnx allot for the quick reply!
I got time this weekend to do the repot!

Thnx for sharing looks a bit like the style i am aiming for with this one good inspiration :D

Reaction score
I repot mine as soon as they start growing, around mid to late march here. And yes, you can cut the roots as much as needed. In fact, (not that you may need it but) you could take them all out...

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I repot mine as soon as they start growing, around mid to late march here. And yes, you can cut the roots as much as needed. In fact, (not that you may need it but) you could take them all out...
Ive seen here on bnut some one chopping up a big tree with an axe and pot the chunks up and they grow roots like a willow yes!

Top Bottom