Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well that part is done!

20180609_201222.jpg20180609_205652.jpg20180609_213152.jpg20180609_213216.jpg

What aftercare should i provide
Mist foliage couple times a day
Couple weeks of shade or semi shade with afternoon sun or back in full sun?

Not the prettiest pot but it was the one that fitted best

benap2

Seedling
Reaction score
keep it away in shade for at least 6-8 weeks and don't over water it.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’d put it back in sun if it was in sun before. Just make sure it gets water. This time of year, they grow like weeds.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I’d put it back in sun if it was in sun before. Just make sure it gets water. This time of year, they grow like weeds.

Thnx its back in the sun i topped the pot with some fresh spaghmum moss to make sure the soil doesnt dry up to fast for now
Now it will be allowed to grow the rest of the season

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I’ve always had that debate about aftercare...

On one hand, a tree like an olive loves sun, full sun, it comes from a country that gets that all the time, that’s the way it naturally grows and what it’s had for 100s of years or 1000s.
So it seems logical to put it back in the same environment, as it’s used to it, less of a change/shock.

On the other hand, if a tree is weakened then I can understand giving it less sun to process, and so it doesn’t have to work as hard..

So how are we to know which one to choose?

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I’ve always had that debate about aftercare...

On one hand, a tree like an olive loves sun, full sun, it comes from a country that gets that all the time, that’s the way it naturally grows and what it’s had for 100s of years or 1000s.
So it seems logical to put it back in the same environment, as it’s used to it, less of a change/shock.

On the other hand, if a tree is weakened then I can understand giving it less sun to process, and so it doesn’t have to work as hard..

So how are we to know which one to choose?

I usualy put them in semishade for two weeks, but keeping it somewat wind free and mist the foliage as much as possible to work against the evaporation trough the foliage so far ive been good but this is my first olive its in full sun now and i will just keep an close eye on it!

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I usualy put them in semishade for two weeks, but keeping it somewat wind free and mist the foliage as much as possible to work against the evaporation trough the foliage so far ive been good but this is my first olive its in full sun now and i will just keep an close eye on it!

See, based on NO research, apart from my own knowledge of the natural habitat of an Olive tree, I'd have thought moisture was not a problem for them.
If they come from a hot place, there will not be much humidity/moisture in the air so why do you think they need it now?

Apart from the logical reasoning of simply helping to keep them watered.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
See, based on NO research, apart from my own knowledge of the natural habitat of an Olive tree, I'd have thought moisture was not a problem for them.
If they come from a hot place, there will not be much humidity/moisture in the air so why do you think they need it now?

Apart from the logical reasoning of simply helping to keep them watered.

My toughts ( i dont know shit and use logic thinking on this )
with the repot the roots are damaged so if they cant keep up with moisture suply to the foliage it might help to keep the leaves from getting fryed olives in their natural habitat dont get rootpruned and dont live in a pot too so imo that they do well in a dry climate doesnt have to mean that they wont benefit from higher humidity after a repot

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My toughts ( i dont know shit and use logic thinking on this )
with the repot the roots are damaged so if they cant keep up with moisture suply to the foliage it might help to keep the leaves from getting fryed olives in their natural habitat dont get rootpruned and dont live in a pot too so imo that they do well in a dry climate doesnt have to mean that they wont benefit from higher humidity after a repot

Yeah I can agree to that, for sure :)

Ingvill

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@defra Is your tree a European Olive?
If so; do you know if the leaves can be reduced in size?

Look forward to more progression pics on yours in the future :)

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Look forward to more progression pics on yours in the future :)

Yes olea europea
I have seen a couple with much smaller leaves so i guess theyl reduce
No update pic but it seems to be happy after the repot some weeks ago now still green and growing enjoying the hot weather we have now !

Ingvill

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you @defra , I'm happy to hear that they'll probobly reduce some in size. :)
I just bought one that has a "low degree of somewhat nice-ish trunk"... lol... which is very rare to find in our stores.
Olives are usually your typical "flagpoles" over here.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thank you @defra , I'm happy to hear that they'll probobly reduce some in size. :)
I just bought one that has a "low degree of somewhat nice-ish trunk"... lol... which is very rare to find in our stores.
Olives are usually your typical "flagpoles" over here.

Same here ;)
Your winters are probably colder than here in the netherlands if im right so keep it protected from frost as much as possible

Reaction score

There are two varieties of the the European olive:
O. europaea subsp. europaea var. europaea
O. europaea
subsp europaea var. sylvestris

The former is the one used for olive oil production and is more resistant to frost. The latter has shorter leaves, smaller fruits and can also have spikes on the lower branches... It is the latter that is much sought after for bonsai, but I think both do well. I've got only the first, and it certainly reduces the leaves some...

They are not tropical trees. Here in Portugal olives can sometimes experience snow, although little (< 1 inch) and for short periods of time. Not the likes you guys experience in Northern America but yet they are resistant to some degree. Mean lowest temperature in winter is 3ºC ( > 35ºC in summer) where they are cultivated, certainly not tropical :)

Reaction score
I think all the examples on this post are the common olive (O. europaea subsp. europaea var. europaea), not the wild variety.

Top Bottom