First olive

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’ve been looking for some solid advice on pruning an olive..
Mine has just started sending out new growth, it’s right up along the long branches though which I gotta cut off.. just was never sure when to prune!
I wanna prune it back quite a bit, just dunno when..
So during active growth, you think pruning now would induce back budding?

When they are actively growing you can whack these down. You can cut a chunk of olive root from a tree and grow it that is how hardy they are. They love sun and heat. They do not need babied just go for it.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just an update!
The more i look at it the more unsure i am about the design i had in mind :eek:

For now its allowed to grow the repot went well and also some backbudding happened so i cut the long branches back some more because allot of growing was happening at the end of those branches and id rather have it growing in places that will be used eventually!

20180809_195510.jpg

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It has been 2 months since you repotted. Has this been all the growth?
I am not sure about now, but certainly in early spring cut off all that you do not need. It will backbud everywhere. I will look for some of mine and post them, considering we are in effectively the same climatic & solar intensity zone.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It has been 2 months since you repotted. Has this been all the growth?
I am not sure about now, but certainly in early spring cut off all that you do not need. It will backbud everywhere. I will look for some of mine and post them, considering we are in effectively the same climatic & solar intensity zone.

No there was allot more growth but at the end of the long branches so thats why i cutted those back to the pair of leaves the closest to the trunk
Cool ! Looking forward to your pics :)

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is the thread: https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/time-of-rough-shaping-olive.26065/

You see the similarity with your tree I think? I have since cut it down further. Of course @JudyB was right about going smaller. Will take a pic in the next days and post it up.

1534312834164.png

To below, without leaving foliage of importance anywhere:
1534312801404.png

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This is the thread: https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/time-of-rough-shaping-olive.26065/

You see the similarity with your tree I think? I have since cut it down further. Of course @JudyB was right about going smaller. Will take a pic in the next days and post it up.

View attachment 206018

To below, without leaving foliage of importance anywhere:
View attachment 206017

Yes they look similair indeed!
Yours bigger tough, to bad the smaller one died it was a nice one :(
For now ill play the waiting game again and see how much it will grow till the end of season and then next year reduce it some more

Top Bottom