First outdoor training tree

Darran

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey everyone,

Been reading lots on this forum and watch a lot of videos of this hobby in general, decided it was time I looked for a small project, that was inexpensive as I will probably kill it, and di- my toes in and have a go.

whilst out at my local garden centre today I picked up this cypress, it says its a Chamaecyparis obtusa Nana Gracilis / Hinoki Cypress. It was very cheap only £4 so I parted with the money, i chose it because the trunk and leader curve to on side. Not sure you can see it clearly from my pictures. Maybe picture two shows this the most.

it’s not quite spring here yet so not sure if there is anything I can do with it just now, but maybe in a month or two when it warms up, I could start shaping and put it in a pot.

my idea for this tree is to use the curve and have the foliage on the top of the branch leaving the underside clear. might look around at some others for inspiration first though.

Thoughts and advice appreciated.

Attachments

• 40B7410E-F3F1-499C-93F3-63F9AD272D0D.jpeg
    40B7410E-F3F1-499C-93F3-63F9AD272D0D.jpeg
    320.2 KB · Views: 117
  • 8970933C-0EA2-4B95-B4D2-BCBDEC09B51E.jpeg
    8970933C-0EA2-4B95-B4D2-BCBDEC09B51E.jpeg
    363.9 KB · Views: 82
  • D4AFF561-4428-4E82-9759-EDB89ECB2FD2.jpeg
    D4AFF561-4428-4E82-9759-EDB89ECB2FD2.jpeg
    341.6 KB · Views: 78

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
These are fun trees..

It’s EEEARLY Spring/LAAAAATE Winter here.. I just “assaulted” a Nursery Stock Hinoki (Initial prune/repot) a few days ago..

I’m not sure the level of work you are comfortable performing, or parameters of “aftercare” you/your climate can provide..

Are you still getting freezes/frosts..

Probably not, right?

Darran

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These are fun trees..

It’s EEEARLY Spring/LAAAAATE Winter here.. I just “assaulted” a Nursery Stock Hinoki (Initial prune/repot) a few days ago..

I’m not sure the level of work you are comfortable performing, or parameters of “aftercare” you/your climate can provide..

Are you still getting freezes/frosts..

Probably not, right?
This will be the first time I have worked anything, so I am scared to even touch it, but I have to get over that and give it a go, I will only learn by doing no matter how much I read / watch. I really have little to lose here the plant was very cheap.

We are coming to the end of winter here with spring officially two weeks away, however we are still getting a few frosts, down to around -3. Mostly windy and rainy at the moment, about 7-10 degrees max in the day.

The tree was outside at the nursery, so I have left it out in the garden for now where it can settle.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
We are getting frosts/light-moderate freezing here.. but my apocalypse area has many “frost-proof” locations.. and I “step” recently repotted trees at night if it will be freezing... so basically your “care” will depend on timing your care.
This was mine a few days ago.. getting it’s “initial shaping” from nursery stock... starting it’s journey.
🤓39E19C95-396A-41E7-81D8-9EA11224C6A1.jpegC2D49469-F5F1-4E70-9040-D4A7E2C969E6.jpeg6F70822B-D9E0-490C-928C-65FA9A49B54F.jpeg

In your case.. I’d wait a bit.. till I felt comfortable.

Darran

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We are getting frosts/light-moderate freezing here.. but my apocalypse area has many “frost-proof” locations.. and I “step” recently repotted trees at night if it will be freezing... so basically your “care” will depend on timing your care.
This was mine a few days ago.. getting it’s “initial shaping” from nursery stock... starting it’s journey.
🤓View attachment 360780View attachment 360781View attachment 360782

In your case.. I’d wait a bit.. till I felt comfortable.

yes I think I will just let stay out in the garden for a couple of months, then have a go at it. my thinking was to keep the trees natural growing shape, the blue line shows the trunk direction, the underside yellow is where I was not going to have foliage, and thin out the growth between the trunk and the red line.

These will not bud back to the browned branches I believe so cutting is to the green growth only.

Did you drastically cut the root ball on that plant.

Attachments

• 73702D16-05A9-4AC4-B335-B43FCC2994CD.jpeg
    73702D16-05A9-4AC4-B335-B43FCC2994CD.jpeg
    359.7 KB · Views: 43

Darran

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It has a natural slanting shape im drawn to keeping.

I thought move out the two branches circled green then have three pads (red) from the truck kind of layered to keep the sloping shape of the tree.

Attachments

• 54B0EEC9-34CE-4E44-A9D8-CBB7CFBE90C9.jpeg
    54B0EEC9-34CE-4E44-A9D8-CBB7CFBE90C9.jpeg
    330.6 KB · Views: 74

Darran

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is there a specific mix for soil when I repot this, also this is currently in a 6” flower pot so has quite a root mass, what size pot should this end up in.

I was thinking a 20cm square pot.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I used my standard inorganic.. mixed with 1/3 Ratio of the bark-heavy nursery soil it came in...

It’s hard to see what’s really “going on” in the photos.. these things produce tons of foliage.. I would clean out a little AROUND the chutes/branches you intend to keep.. This is just what I, personally would do.. this may be wrong

Darran

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I took the plunge and had a go at the tree, be gentle this is my first ever attempt at this.

Attachments

• 91B54065-12AB-44BD-BCB4-C996FC168947.jpeg
    91B54065-12AB-44BD-BCB4-C996FC168947.jpeg
    288.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 2BB83653-EF36-470A-B826-17AE4FC2D8FC.jpeg
    2BB83653-EF36-470A-B826-17AE4FC2D8FC.jpeg
    331.9 KB · Views: 67

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Ok.. So some thoughts..

You have two competing “leaders”... the nice, curvy, one in the middle.. and the “tough-to-bend but useful in it’s own rights” guy going up and to the right..

As it stands RIGHT now, with NO re-adjustment.. those two cannot exist as leaders in the the design and be aesthetically pleasing.. That’s why the tree keeps pulling your eyes in two directions.. trying to form several trees..

The “Up and to the right”-branch is ALSO noticeably thicker than ALL other “branch options”... which will create maladjusted initial scale that would would be difficult to correct later.. so my conclusion regarding that “up and right branch” is.. It HAS to be either your “leader”, a Jin, or non-existent in your design...

And I don’t like it as a leader, I like your “intended leader” better... but that is your choice to make.

The technique will come with time..

Definitely not bad for a first-time.

🤓

Darran

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok.. So some thoughts..

You have two competing “leaders”... the nice, curvy, one in the middle.. and the “tough-to-bend but useful in it’s own rights” guy going up and to the right..

As it stands RIGHT now, with NO re-adjustment.. those two cannot exist as leaders in the the design and be aesthetically pleasing.. That’s why the tree keeps pulling your eyes in two directions.. trying to form several trees..

The “Up and to the right”-branch is ALSO noticeably thicker than ALL other “branch options”... which will create maladjusted initial scale that would would be difficult to correct later.. so my conclusion regarding that “up and right branch” is.. It HAS to be either your “leader”, a Jin, or non-existent in your design...

And I don’t like it as a leader, I like your “intended leader” better... but that is your choice to make.

The technique will come with time..

Definitely not bad for a first-time.

🤓
Yes I agree, when I was doing this I was torn with the bigger branch as to removing it or not.

The twisted branch was flat and at the back of the tree, but I raised it and twisted it with the purpose of being the leader as the other branch was too thick to move.

I was unsure of removing that thicker branch as the right side of the tree would then be pretty bare and I am not sure what would grow there to replace it If anything at all. There is another branch at the back that could be twisted to come towards the right side but that would not look right in the long run.

i was also unsure that removing it would be removing too much in one go.

I was also unsure of having the two lower branches on the right so close together, but decided to leave them for now, with the hope it will help thicken the trunk and maybe lose the bottom one at a later date.

I guess my intention is for it to go, but a little Jin maybe a couple of inches, also whilst not in my plans may work, i Never considered a Jin, thought it was to advanced for me at this stage. I would say I would want a branch and pad on that right and side though.

I know little about how to encourage new branches in this or any tree, should I remove now and will that encourage new growth on the right or leave and let the tree grow this year and see if anything else develops at that right side.

Last edited:

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I strongly recommend reading THIS...

..along your way.

;)

Darran

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How “bendy” is that upper right branch? (BE CAREFUL!)
Not very bendy at all.

Also looking at it this morning, I might have split the new leader branch as well, very disappointing.

Think I will leave it a while and see what happens.

Darran

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I strongly recommend reading THIS...

..along your way.

;)
I read this thread, well as much as was useful before it descended into an argument. I can see how the stick drawing can help when deciding you tree design.

It’s probably a little too late for this example now as I think, my original plan of a new leader has been somewhat scuppered by my heavy handed first attempt. I am going to let the tree grow a little over the summer and see what it throws out that may rescue it. After all it is my first bonsai and good as a practice tree.

Might have to visit the local garden centre and get a couple more to practice on.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I read this thread, well as much as was useful before it descended into an argument. I can see how the stick drawing can help when deciding you tree design.

It’s probably a little too late for this example now as I think, my original plan of a new leader has been somewhat scuppered by my heavy handed first attempt. I am going to let the tree grow a little over the summer and see what it throws out that may rescue it. After all it is my first bonsai and good as a practice tree.

Might have to visit the local garden centre and get a couple more to practice on.
Still spend time with this specimen..There are still some Options/avenues...something will develop.. I’m sure of it. :)

Also, Yes! More trees!

...always...

...more..

...trees!

🤓

Darran

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There seems to have been little movement or growth of this tree so far through spring.

Attachments

• IMG_0068.JPG
    IMG_0068.JPG
    236.2 KB · Views: 33

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It is a hinoki cypress, they are slow growing and don't back bud well

Darran

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is the tree having been left alone all summer, seems to be bushing up a bit.

Attachments

• D553E352-A92F-4857-9F1E-3C54AF7A0FF8.jpeg
    D553E352-A92F-4857-9F1E-3C54AF7A0FF8.jpeg
    305.9 KB · Views: 29

Darran

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So this is the tree going into spring. I lost a branch and still have the thick one, plus another potential leader. Not sure if now is the time to take the plunge and remove the thick branch going up and right.

Attachments

• 7E49FA49-D1A7-4103-BD9F-2B8A891720DC.jpeg
    7E49FA49-D1A7-4103-BD9F-2B8A891720DC.jpeg
    313.3 KB · Views: 20
Top Bottom