First Pot for Japanese Black Pine

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Kenji now lives 10 minutes from me. I was lucky enough to go to an open house he held last summer at his new home. His trees are amazing and Kenji is super nice.

Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance, (I'm still a noob at Bonsai, especially pines), but I presume you have "plucked" off some (most) of the pine's inner needles? If so, why? Was it for ease of wiring or to simply make the branch structure more visible?

Sorry for the hijack. It is a nice little tree. Cheers. :)

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Kenji now lives 10 minutes from me. I was lucky enough to go to an open house he held last summer at his new home. His trees are amazing and Kenji is super nice.
He's a great guy. You should see if you can get in his workshops- though I think they may be full. I'll be down there the weekend of the 25th maybe we can say hi. I was also ther during the open house so maybe we've already met.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Excuse my ignorance, (I'm still a noob at Bonsai, especially pines), but I presume you have "plucked" off some (most) of the pine's inner needles? If so, why? Was it for ease of wiring or to simply make the branch structure more visible?

Sorry for the hijack. It is a nice little tree. Cheers. :)
Yes needles were removed. We do it for a number of reasons. To control strength, to let more light and air into the interior, for ease of wiring etc.. Its one of the techniques used to develop black pines for bonsai. Brian Van Fleet has put out a great little Ebook on training Japanese Black Pines- I recommend it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes needles were removed. We do it for a number of reasons. To control strength, to let more light and air into the interior, for ease of wiring etc.. Its one of the techniques used to develop black pines for bonsai. Brian Van Fleet has put out a great little Ebook on training Japanese Black Pines- I recommend it.

Thanks! I appreciate the response. :) Is this method (of needle removal) recommended for other pines (such as lodgepolepine?).

I will check out that eBay. Thanks. Cheers.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Thanks! I appreciate the response. :) Is this method (of needle removal) recommended for other pines (such as lodgepolepine?).

I will check out that eBay. Thanks. Cheers.
Never worked on Lodgepole so I can't say.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This tree was given to me by my friend and teacher Kenji Miyata this is it's first bonsai pot and partial wiring. Just under 8" tall.
View attachment 177115
Bob, you need to graft in a “frontal” branch on that section of trunk above your top wire. We have a full view of the trunk from soil to top of apex. You need a branch there.

I thought about removing that top section entirely, which improve movement but that would set you back 4 or 5 years. A graft only two.

It will start to look good next fall after decandling and pulling the long needles.

That was a nice gift by Kinji. He gets a couple thousand for those!

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Is this method (of needle removal) recommended for other pines (such as lodgepolepine?).
Of course, but not to the extremes to which needle removal can be taken with JBPs.
More foliage means more thickening of the associated stem which will mean more stimulus to produce even more foliage in the following season, etc. One can only weaken selected areas by removing foliage in some way to achieve a balanced canopy.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Bob, you need to graft in a “frontal” branch on that section of trunk above your top wire. We have a full view of the trunk from soil to top of apex. You need a branch there.

I thought about removing that top section entirely, which improve movement but that would set you back 4 or 5 years. A graft only two.

It will start to look good next fall after decandling and pulling the long needles.

That was a nice gift by Kinji. He gets a couple thousand for those!
Just need to wire the smaller branches no need for a graft, or to remove the top.

Top Bottom