First real winters night

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was busy yesterday wrapping up a little winter protection and watering well as it was predicted to go down to 23F. I am very glad I did because it is 16F at my house at this moment. Had a feeling this was going to be the case. How is everybody else fairing?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was busy yesterday wrapping up a little winter protection and watering well as it was predicted to go down to 23F. I am very glad I did because it is 16F at my house at this moment. Had a feeling this was going to be the case. How is everybody else fairing?
Same. Got to 20 this morning. Had mulched everything in back at Thanksgiving, but nothing really cold until last night. Going to get warmer towards Christmas though.

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Last year we had early hard frost in mid-September, early negative temps in October. My trees were in the ground, mulched, fenced against deer, and snow fenced on October 15.
This year was a little more reasonable. We had an early snow with warmer temps to follow. I put my trees in the ground on November 16, fenced, mulched, and snow fenced. I netted my juniper borders on December 8 ahead of our biggest snow so far.

berzerkules

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's been weird up here. 20f right now, forecast says 35f later today. Last monday was -35f.

Trees been buried in snow for quite awhile now.

Last edited:

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
28 this morning when I walked the dog
I can't believe it is a full 12 degrees warmer there considering you are just about 70 miles east of me.
Lucky dog. No really, lucky dog. ;)

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Anything close to freezing feels nice after those low temps. Probably see a few people at the grocery store in shorts later.
you reminded me, not that i associate MA with tough people (in current times) but on way to work, 18-20*F there was a guy walking two of his dogs in shorts!!!

there are a bunch of us who surf during winters here too. i change into and out of wetsuit in 20-30* and surf during snow storms for 3 hrs. only exposed skin is face covered in vaseline

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I can't believe it is a full 12 degrees warmer there considering you are just about 70 miles east of me.
Lucky dog. No really, lucky dog. ;)
You're a lot higher in elevation than me. I just looked on the map, and as a crow fly's only 9,000ft away from the bay.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
there are a bunch of us who surf during winters here too. i change into and out of wetsuit in 20-30* and surf during snow storms for 3 hrs. only exposed skin is face covered in vaseline
I went swimming at Rohobeth Beach in Deleware once on Christmas Eve. I was young and stupid. That water felt like a knife and it took me hours to warm up again.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I went swimming at Rohobeth Beach in Deleware once on Christmas Eve. I was young and stupid. That water felt like a knife and it took me hours to warm up again.
lolol...good old polar plunge
fun fact, when we surf winters, or the water you went into...can be sub 32* freezing because salinity and constant movement
keeps it from freezing

this was dead of winter before i put my mittens on and paddled out
IMG_0597-1.jpg

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
lolol...good old polar plunge
fun fact, when we surf winters, or the water you went into...can be sub 32* freezing because salinity and constant movement
keeps it from freezing

this was dead of winter before i put my mittens on and paddled out
View attachment 412945
Brrrrrrrr.............

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
21F for me this morning.
Nursery container stuff and hardy conifers are on ground with pallets as wind blockers and burlap as wind blockers

Smaller stuff and bonsai container trees are next to the house outback , with pallets on 3 sides with burlap , they’re on the ground and get radiated heat from home. Big boxwood behind the house too that acts as wind block also. Didn’t use mulch yet as last night was first time below 26.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Yeah it rained all Saturday so hoping that helped as a temperature buffer as well.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
There is no frost next the the house like a foot out from it too… anyone here ever measure the temperature difference or thoughts on how to do that?

Top Bottom