First serious purchase of a pine.....thoughts?

ShimpakuBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
@Fidur
I regularly see those kind of labels attached to imported trees.
The label is part of the phytosanitary certificate to be able to import the tree in the EU.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I'm on the fence to purchase this pine:

View attachment 467340 View attachment 467341

It's not easy where I live to get this kind of trees. It's a 30 years old pinus pentaphylla. I gess it is some variety of JWP.
Anyway the seller (who lives 5 km from my house) has two more he has been caring for the last 15 years. So I'm a bit confident this pine can survive in my climate.
I know price is very subjective and depends on avalibility in my zone. He asked 600$ for it, wich is 10 times more than I have ever paid for a tree, so I feel a bit nervous about this purchase.
I know this pics don't tell too much, but I can tell you it seems healthy, and I like the movement in the trunk. So, what do you think about the tree and its price?....
Info on what pentaphylla means . From the American conifer society site . The way I read it it’s not so much a cultivar . They refer to it as a var . Based on where in Japan the trees originate . Not clear on the difference . My understanding of a cultivar . Is a version of a tree species . Like JWP . That displays enough of a unique quality to be distinguished from the parent plant . Say a dwarf version of JWP that has distinct needle length or colour . A variation . Is a tree that is very slightly different but not enough to be a cultivar . Example a tree that is from a certain area . Looks the same but may tend to be shorter and wider then the regular version or more or less heat tolerant . Variation often seem to be from a certain area .

Attachments

• 395E46B2-2BF6-4F39-AB35-DADE79CC044B.png
    395E46B2-2BF6-4F39-AB35-DADE79CC044B.png
    78.6 KB · Views: 82

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This tree hasn´t changed a bit since I opened this thread. This is a pic of this week....

IMG20230316175650.jpg

I've only watered and watched. And now (using a magnifier) I can see some green in the buds (no candles yet), so I expect a (weak) flush. I guess it's all due to the weakeness of the tree as it was transported to my island with no soil and then was repotted last summer under a heatwave. So not specially concerned about the lack of a strong growth.

But today I observed in the exposed roots area three different spots where a sticky transparent fluid was present. I guess it's sap. The pic is not good, but I can swear the big one is like a little pond of sap.
IMG_20230425_152910.jpg
As I said I haven´t touched yet this tree, so I'm a bit concerned. My guess is that I inadvertently hit that area with the water can, or ..... maybe one of you with more experience can give a better answer
Anyway, I can´t see where the leaks come from in order to seal them.....all that comes to my mind is to put some sand or clay in the big area (*), and sealent in the tiny ones...... what should you do?

(*) Belive it or not, that was, what as a child playing outdoors, I used to stop bleeding in my wounds...

Last edited:

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Nice tree. It won’t change much until you start wiring and refining it…which is a fall activity.
Typically these are referred to as Miyajima white pines. Not sure if that is a cultivar or regional identification of the grafted-on scion type.
Don’t worry much about the sap unless you see signs of borers.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wounds made when repotting the tree last year can still be open enough to cause some sap weeping this year. Probably some roots got scraped. Feed your tree well after the needles harden off.

Darth Masiah

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
so, these hybrid white pines don't need a long winter dormancy to stay healthy because of the black pine root system, right. are they more vigorous and able to withstand wetter climates, too? or does the foliage growth stay pretty much the same within the same cultivar?

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Update: 1 year under my care

JMK_2875.jpg JMK_2876.jpg

It had a flush in may to july, and I wired and bent a bit in november.
I think I made some mistakes, the worst , to expose it to more than 14 scorching sun hours, everyday during summer. As a result the color of needles is a bit off and some tips (the most sun exposed) are yellowish. Also I fertilized in spring, and the new needles are a bit longer than previous.
But anyway I still hold the hope that this tree will survive in my climate. We will see.....

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
TBH, nothing like having sunk almost $1000 into a tree to "inspire" you to learn how to most effectively care for it and quickly. While the death of a $50 tree is tragic, the death of a $600, $1,000 or more tree can be grounds for divorce 😁 (don't ask me how I know this).
I still feel the loss of my $1000 Ponderosa. My wife never knew.

jszg

Mame
Reaction score
With fertilization, I've had good color this year on my JWP using Dynagrow, diluted to 1/4 the recommended concentration applied biweekly during the summer. I also plan to add Julian Adam's micronutrient powder, which hopefully has an EU equivalent on the market.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
What do you mean? To my uneducated eye there are no problems in the interior bud growth in those sections, but surely I'm not aware of it......
Left to its own device (to grow thick and to lose interior needles, thus interior buds) problems will follow in "short" time.
New growth instructed to come from within a branch by thinning and pruning rather than at the growth tips.
From time to time, these need thinning to allow light into bare wood. Pruning to push back to the fruits of your labor.
Interior buds take a good while to become branches, so they need a bit of assistance to be as strong as possible.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Update: 1 year under my care

View attachment 523856 View attachment 523857

It had a flush in may to july, and I wired and bent a bit in november.
I think I made some mistakes, the worst , to expose it to more than 14 scorching sun hours, everyday during summer. As a result the color of needles is a bit off and some tips (the most sun exposed) are yellowish. Also I fertilized in spring, and the new needles are a bit longer than previous.
But anyway I still hold the hope that this tree will survive in my climate. We will see.....
How do you like it? I think it looks marvelous.

hardtimes

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Very nice tree. I definitely would have paid $600 for a tree of this quality. Sadly, JWP don't do well here. Congratulations on the nice acquisition.

Cory
And here I thought anything could be grown in Sonoma county, what seems to be the issues with them? My local nursery also sells grafted white pine

Seany

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's great to see the JWP working out for you in your climate. I'm in Southern California and sold my only JWP, because everyone online scared me. I don't think the science of how the JBP roots warm-proof the JWP scion is well understood, despite posters' enthusiasm. I don't think the heat is a problem at all though, people have these trees in Utah and Idaho, which get much hotter in the summer than your climate. Please keep us up to date as the years pass, I would greatly appreciate it.

Regarding the price, I think you got a great deal, hands down.

Top Bottom