First Shimpaku

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Was roaming around a Santa Fe nursery I walk often, and found that they carry these shimpaku shrubs. They prob had about 20 of them all for $32 at about the same size and shape. I picked what I perceived to be the best. If it were yours what would you do? Plant in the ground? Cut back right away? Repot? Style?

I may dive in right away. Repot into suitable substrate, then eliminate/Jin branches that don’t fit final design. Wire a new trunk line, then leave be to grow out for another year or two. I just picked it up today though, so I’ll probably sit on it a for a few days. BFAEFBE5-1382-46DA-BF2F-0FD2DCB09D2D.jpeg341072CA-78E6-4BEF-A35B-EB32575B2055.png
Initial thought with this one. And here are a few other angles and a full shot. FB515A71-84AA-4F5C-B36C-B209F661D63E.jpeg431F7C28-C808-4CD8-9266-4AF5FD0A386A.jpeg1D017362-0935-4FAE-8460-FF61FF0BE6F1.jpeg

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think I will begin work on this one. I can buy another and plant in the ground for 5 yrs from now!

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Ha, that’s the spirit! I just made a similar Rocky Mountain Juniper purchase.

Cool Shimpaku though, especially for $32 ?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I would... come up with a cool three trunk design for it!

I'm not joking... that's a big shimpaku but the trunks are all where you want them for a three trunk bonsai. You may have to do some heavy lifting in the short term with clamps to get the trunks in the right lines, but after that I think you could have an interesting tree. Triple trunk bonsai are actually a special form called "sankan" in Japanese. You don't see too many... but if executed well I really like them!

Triple-trunk-style-sankan-300x296.jpg

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would... come up with a cool three trunk design for it!

I'm not joking... that's a big shimpaku but the trunks are all where you want them for a three trunk bonsai. You may have to do some heavy lifting in the short term with clamps to get the trunks in the right lines, but after that I think you could have an interesting tree.
Interesting. My initial thought was to eliminate to a single trunk. I will def explore the idea of a three trunk though! Good thought @Bonsai Nut !! I’m pretty thrilled to get a shimpaku going. It’s been on my short list for sometime. BVF’s shimpakus are a big reason for that.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The first instinct is to go to a single trunk. But if you do, not only will you end up with a boring, uninspiring juniper whip, but you will be losing years of progress and ignoring what the tree is telling you.

The tree is whispering... sankan, sankan... :)

I have never seen raw stock so suited for a three trunk style. Look at the surface roots! The three trunks splitting right at the soil line! Make sure you thank me when you go to Nationals :) P.S. if you don't want it I'll buy it from you. I will pay more than $32 :)

Last edited:

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The first instinct is to go to a single trunk. But if you do, not only will you end up with a boring, uninspiring juniper whip, but you will be losing years of progress and ignoring what the tree is telling you.

The tree is whispering... sankan, sankan... :)

I have never seen raw stock so suited for a three trunk style. Look at the surface roots! The three trunks splitting right at the soil line! Make sure you thank me when you go to Nationals :)
Preach!!! So good.

Honestly you should see the collection of juniper at this nursery. They were all almost certainly suited for a 3 trunk, with growth running up the length of each trunk and very similar and beautiful radial roots. It took me a bit to pick this one. And for only $32. Might have to get more.

Next time I’m there I’ll post something with pics. Maybe more people here would be interested and I could buy some and ship. ??‍♂️

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If they truly have 20+ shimpakus like that at $32 each I am not kidding I will drive out from SoCal and buy the lot. I have never actually heard of a landscape nursery carrying shimpakus before.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If they truly have 20+ shimpakus like that at $32 each I am not kidding I will drive out from SoCal and buy the lot. I have never actually heard of a landscape nursery carrying shimpakus before.
Truly it is so. It is called Newman’s Nursery, and it’s honestly not the greatest nursery out there, but I’ve been going there for years and only looked at there deciduous collection. It was only today that I walked the conifers. From a distance they always seemed bleh. Along with the shimpaku I bought a bloodgood (I think) j maple that were started from seed, so no graft line!

The guy who owns the place is an enthusiast. He’s always got somewhat obscure species. I bought quite a few Ficus Wiandi starts from there 4 yrs ago, which is an interesting ficus cultivar. I bought a redbud that he started as bonsai which was awesome, but I killed, early in my bonsai years. I still miss that one. At the nursery are several of his trees that, for as long as I’ve been going there, have NEVER been repotted. Great trees really, just obviously rootbound and then some. A wisteria, 2 cork bark elm a redbud and some others I can’t remember.

I didn’t get the exact count, but there was upwards of 20 I’m sure. I’m in Abq, and am only in SF here and there. But I’ll def get you a pic when I’m up there next. Hopefully soon!!

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In case you think I'm joking... would you be willing to tell me the name of the nursery? :)
Your def making me feel like I need to go get at least 1 more. ? but you should def take advantage if having that many for landscaping is an anomaly!

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Your def making me feel like I need to go get at least 1 more. ? but you should def take advantage if having that many for landscaping is an anomaly!

I'm not in it for resale, or to make money... I just know what I could do with those trees in a season. My biggest problem is that I have over 50 shimpakus... and I have a tendency to bite off more than I can chew. Shimpakus are easy in that if you miss maintenance for six months it's no big deal.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm not in it for resale, or to make money... I just know what I could do with those trees in a season. My biggest problem is that I have over 50 shimpakus... and I have a tendency to bite off more than I can chew. Shimpakus are easy in that if you miss maintenance for six months it's no big deal.
i def wouldn’t think you’d be reselling them. And I know the feeling of having “too much”. Really though, next time I’m there I’ll post a pic and would gladly ship a few at no extra cost, just the tree plus shipping. I’d like to get at least one more myself.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
On that note. When I begin work on the one I bought, would you take the root ball down considerably and begging to form/shape the trunks? In your opinion, how much can I get away with in the first season with shimpaku?

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Truly it is so. It is called Newman’s Nursery, and it’s honestly not the greatest nursery out there, but I’ve been going there for years and only looked at there deciduous collection. It was only today that I walked the conifers. From a distance they always seemed bleh. Along with the shimpaku I bought a bloodgood (I think) j maple that were started from seed, so no graft line!

The guy who owns the place is an enthusiast. He’s always got somewhat obscure species. I bought quite a few Ficus Wiandi starts from there 4 yrs ago, which is an interesting ficus cultivar. I bought a redbud that he started as bonsai which was awesome, but I killed, early in my bonsai years. I still miss that one. At the nursery are several of his trees that, for as long as I’ve been going there, have NEVER been repotted. Great trees really, just obviously rootbound and then some. A wisteria, 2 cork bark elm a redbud and some others I can’t remember.

I didn’t get the exact count, but there was upwards of 20 I’m sure. I’m in Abq, and am only in SF here and there. But I’ll def get you a pic when I’m up there next. Hopefully soon!!
If you happen to make it out, shoot me a PM. Maybe the three of us could do a nursery crawl. Once on a Mirai chat, you offered to buy me a beer if I made it out your way. I’d be happy to return the favor in advance!

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
On that note. When I begin work on the one I bought, would you take the root ball down considerably and begging to form/shape the trunks? In your opinion, how much can I get away with in the first season with shimpaku?

Don't go crazy with juniper repotting on the first round. They are particularly sensitive to having their roots cut. If you are moving a juniper from a nursery pot into pre-bonsai soil, I would recommend using something like an Anderson flat and just tease out the juniper roots and spread them out without trimming them (unless they are like 24" long). Do not wash them either. I may just be superstitious or paranoid, but I believe that early on keeping the roots dirty and "non-stressed" is important to successfully transitioning them into bonsai culture. Once they are growing strongly in good bonsai soil, you can be more aggressive with repotting.

Take it from the guy who is the master juniper killer :) I have killed junipers in more ways than you can imagine. Now however I actually make more than I kill :)

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you happen to make it out, shoot me a PM. Maybe the three of us could do a nursery crawl. Once on a Mirai chat, you offered to buy me a beer if I made it out your way. I’d be happy to return the favor in advance!
I’d love to do a collecting trip with ya some day @PiñonJ . Though a nursery crawl could work. ??

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't go crazy with juniper repotting on the first round. They are particularly sensitive to having their roots cut. If you are moving a juniper from a nursery pot into pre-bonsai soil, I would recommend using something like an Anderson flat and just tease out the juniper roots and spread them out without trimming them (unless they are like 24" long). Do not wash them either. I may just be superstitious or paranoid, but I believe that early on keeping the roots dirty and "non-stressed" is important to successfully transitioning them into bonsai culture. Once they are growing strongly in good bonsai soil, you can be more aggressive with repotting.

All sounds great. I’ve had pretty great luck with RMJ, and San Jose juniper repotting and styling in the same year, but our native one seed, after collection needs serious time to recover. I’m just not familiar with shimpaku and it’s sensitivities. I’ll prob shape my main trunks with out removing much foliage, maybe 15-20%, then repot, by teasing out the roots, making sure to be gentle and not remove too much. I’m excited and I’ll keep posted. Thank you.

Top Bottom