First Shimpaku

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If you happen to make it out, shoot me a PM. Maybe the three of us could do a nursery crawl. Once on a Mirai chat, you offered to buy me a beer if I made it out your way. I’d be happy to return the favor in advance!

I have done crazier things with less motivation!

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Bonsai Nut clraned up crotch growth and weak growth. Shortened each trunk considerably. Jinned a few branches. Guy wired the middle trunk for movement and plan on bend the far right branch as well. Raked out the root ball, only cutting thick, pencil size plus, roots. Planted in a pumice composted bark and DE mix. Decided to not try and wire or shape or cut any more foliage at all until the tree responds to my current measures taken. Ive got a vision and I’m going to work on a sketch of my plan over the next few weeks. I also took a bunch of freshly lignified cuttings in hopes of getting several to root. What do you think? 73A734B6-D888-4EEE-8DD3-31901BBD8262.jpeg

Trimaptim

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I would... come up with a cool three trunk design for it!

I'm not joking... that's a big shimpaku but the trunks are all where you want them for a three trunk bonsai. You may have to do some heavy lifting in the short term with clamps to get the trunks in the right lines, but after that I think you could have an interesting tree. Triple trunk bonsai are actually a special form called "sankan" in Japanese. You don't see too many... but if executed well I really like them!

View attachment 239749
Sorry to bring in another tree but what you said got me curious. Is this considered a sankan?

Attachments

• IMG_20190414_182959749.jpg
    IMG_20190414_182959749.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 52

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
@Bonsai Nut clraned up crotch growth and weak growth. Shortened each trunk considerably. Jinned a few branches. Guy wired the middle trunk for movement and plan on bend the far right branch as well. Raked out the root ball, only cutting thick, pencil size plus, roots. Planted in a pumice composted bark and DE mix. Decided to not try and wire or shape or cut any more foliage at all until the tree responds to my current measures taken. Ive got a vision and I’m going to work on a sketch of my plan over the next few weeks. I also took a bunch of freshly lignified cuttings in hopes of getting several to root. What do you think?

Good start! The middle trunk - the lower section is too straight and starts to the right before it bends left. It would be best if you can introduce a curve into that section, so that it is neither straight, nor starts by growing to the right.

This will require some clamps / rebar work. It isn't that hard, but the longer you wait the harder it will be to bend it.

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Don't go crazy with juniper repotting on the first round. They are particularly sensitive to having their roots cut. If you are moving a juniper from a nursery pot into pre-bonsai soil, I would recommend using something like an Anderson flat and just tease out the juniper roots and spread them out without trimming them (unless they are like 24" long). Do not wash them either. I may just be superstitious or paranoid, but I believe that early on keeping the roots dirty and "non-stressed" is important to successfully transitioning them into bonsai culture. Once they are growing strongly in good bonsai soil, you can be more aggressive with repotting.

Take it from the guy who is the master juniper killer :) I have killed junipers in more ways than you can imagine. Now however I actually make more than I kill :)
Would mind posting some of your successes with nursery stock Shimps? Or maybe there is a thread?

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Fantastic find, and it will be great as a triple trunk. Not to hijack the thread, but what is the difference between Juniperus chinensis sargentii and what the bonsai community calls Shimpaku?

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fantastic find, and it will be great as a triple trunk. Not to hijack the thread, but what is the difference between Juniperus chinensis sargentii and what the bonsai community calls Shimpaku?
I’m def not the guy to ask. I’m sure there are quite distinct differences in growth habits, foliage, etc. @Bonsai Nut can you chime in on this question?

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

The short answer would be "not much difference" or "a ton of difference" depending who you ask.

There are a number of Juniperus chinensis cultivars that are extremely closely related, and even three varieties (that I know of) with overlapping ranges in the wild. Juniperus chinensis sargentii and Juniperus chinensis 'Shimpaku' are sometimes even referred to as being the same - that 'Shimpaku' is simply the Japanese name for "Sargent juniper". However I also know of large commercial nurseries that treat them as different plants and sell them separately. I have also seen shimpaku described as being a dwarf of sargentii... or that sargentii is simply a tree variety of shimpaku.

I wish I could provide more information, but I don't know - and there may be no difference at all.

Last edited:

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks! The reliable landscape plant references describe J. c. sargentii as a fast growing prostrate shrub to 24" tall and 8' wide. If we treated Shimpaku as a landscape plant, would it do the same?

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks! The reliable landscape plant references describe J. c. sargentii as a fast growing prostrate shrub to 24" tall and 8' wide. If we treated Shimpaku as a landscape plant, would it do the same?

No, shimpaku doesn't have a prostrate form. I would describe it as being globular/round, perhaps to 4' diameter(?). It certainly grows taller than 24". How tall in perfect conditions? That I don't know.
Check out this excellent document.

Last edited:

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks again, I will read the link carefully later. It seems clear that what is called J. chinensis sargentii in the USA is not the same as Shimpaku. Maybe this discussion deserves its own thread.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks again, I will read the link carefully later. It seems clear that what is called J. chinensis sargentii in the USA is not the same as Shimpaku. Maybe this discussion deserves its own thread.
I don’t mind the discussion at all! But more people may comment if it had its own. You might get more specific insight.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That's a steal for only $32!!! The nursery I sometimes cruze got some in from Oregon. They had two sizes about the size of a small watermelon ($49) and cantaloupe ($28) I ended up getting two smaller ones.

Go back and get them all if you can!

Mr GeaRbOx

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

From my Iseli nursery tag:
Shimpaku Chinese Juniper
This versatile, vase-shaped Juniperus chinensis ‘Shimpaku’ develops upright, fountain-like branches that are covered in robust, green, awl-shaped foliage. Appreciated by bonsai enthusiasts for an irregular form and exposed, peeling bark, it also makes an interesting addition to container arrangements and garden beds.
Garden Size: 3’H x 6’W
Dwarf: 3-6″/year
Spreading
Zone 4
Green
Conifer
Full Sun

Top Bottom