First Shimpaku

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just got back from a 2 week road trip and the wind blew exceptionally hard while gone. This one was tossed from the bench and my house/bonsai sitter didn’t notice it til that evening. It’s all but dead at this point. BUMMER. Looks like I’ll have to go to SF to get more!!

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I just got back from a 2 week road trip and the wind blew exceptionally hard while gone. This one was tossed from the bench and my house/bonsai sitter didn’t notice it til that evening. It’s all but dead at this point. BUMMER. Looks like I’ll have to go to SF to get more!!
Shame, but I was at Newman’s last weekend. I didn’t buy anything, but they have about 50 more Shinpaku. I was tempted by an odd little pine that looked slightly healthier than Charlie Brown’s Christmas tree.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Shame, but I was at Newman’s last weekend. I didn’t buy anything, but they have about 50 more Shinpaku. I was tempted by an odd little pine that looked slightly healthier than Charlie Brown’s Christmas tree.
Good to know. I’d like to get a few to play with timing and style. Shohin, vs ground grow for several years. I also liked Greg’s suggestion of a Sanken.

Yeah the winds while I was gone we’re pretty crazy apparently. Lost an Amur Maple also. Nothing fantastic, but still sucks losing trees. I updated that tree I’d thread as that group has pushed a tone more leaves. I’m really thinking alder or birch but still not certain.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I purchased I second shimpaku from the same nursery In June of last year after losing the first to a wind related disaster. This new shimp, has 5 distinct trunks that I’m going to try and utilize fully. I did a simple and very minimal repot as the root ball in the nursery can was already awfully small. I also removed the long growth and runners off of the top of each trunk. I’ll need some significant growth in the branches and foliage to be able to establish quality pads and jins long term, but I was able to get some initial bends and shape in to each trunk so they flow well together. I did that about a month ago and today I worked the roots and potted into 90% pumice and 10% akadama. I’m very pleased already with the nebari and general root spread.

last year after simple repot.
B1CFBA01-87FD-4101-A566-1E8340436E5C.jpeg

at repot and roots
FEA5FECA-2B3A-4DB2-AF7F-6C64B44AD109.jpeg

Potted into a Korean training pot.
EAD8A1D3-C586-4DC5-9DDA-22F35B8676F4.jpeg

root base
D9D378ED-973F-4B06-9D75-50E7A1269B39.jpeg

CEA5B036-32EA-4CEB-973F-DFEB4641403F.jpeg

@Brian Van Fleet . Would you shorten each trunk a decent amount more? I like the idea of more sinuous trunks and a nice fused base (which is almost 2” at the moment). And really any thoughts you may have on this tree and Shimps in general would be great. In the mean time I’ll pour over your shimp threads a bit more.

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I purchased I second shimpaku from the same nursery In June of last year after losing the first to a wind related disaster. This new shimp, has 5 distinct trunks that I’m going to try and utilize fully. I did a simple and very minimal repot as the root ball in the nursery can was already awfully small. I also removed the long growth and runners off of the top of each trunk. I’ll need some significant growth in the branches and foliage to be able to establish quality pads and jins long term, but I was able to get some initial bends and shape in to each trunk so they flow well together. I did that about a month ago and today I worked the roots and potted into 90% pumice and 10% akadama. I’m very pleased already with the nebari and general root spread.

last year after simple repot.
View attachment 294674

at repot and roots
View attachment 294676

Potted into a Korean training pot.
View attachment 294677

root base
View attachment 294678

View attachment 294679

@Brian Van Fleet . Would you shorten each trunk a decent amount more? I like the idea of more sinuous trunks and a nice fused base (which is almost 2” at the moment). And really any thoughts you may have on this tree and Shimps in general would be great. In the mean time I’ll pour over your shimp threads a bit more.

Hi,
You have purchased some really nice material there. Hope you didn’t take too much root off? No chance at all here.
But I am a little confused. You seem to have taken off all the lower potential branching. So maybe you are planning a taller elegant female style.
Looking forward to others comments
Charles

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi,
You have purchased some really nice material there. Hope you didn’t take too much root off? No chance at all here.
But I am a little confused. You seem to have taken off all the lower potential branching. So maybe you are planning a taller elegant female style.
Looking forward to others comments
Charles
Hey Charles. Yeah your absolutely right, I removed foliage up the trunk bases a bit to expose and show off the nebari and the wiggle I wired in to each trunk. My plan is for a taller more elegant clump. I think though, once all of the foliage has had time to elongate, I can wire some of those branches and pads down to create depth.

I know this is a pine, but something like this. Just did a quick image search. Not my tree.
23A6A2FC-FE70-44C4-9419-F116C542036B.jpeg
I like that you can see much of the movement and wiggle of each trunk and the foliage, at least in that largest of trunk, imminates from the top of the tree and is wired down to fill gaps and creat depth and balance.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Amongst so many other trees this one is just doing ok. There is back budding but am I right that this is tip blight? DE29B558-2A12-4718-8542-911628CF0B2B.jpeg

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
The first one you bought would be at least $100 here. Shame it is dead...

Top Bottom