First styling attempt! Boxwood

twarawa

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
2A
Here is my first attempt at styling some nursery stock into a starter bonsai. The tag said it is a Buxus Saskatoon.

I pruned and wired it the other day. This is my first attempt at wiring (and bonsai for that matter) so it is a bit messy but was a good learning experience. I found that it is much more difficult and time consuming than it looks.

Any ideas or comments are welcome. Thanks.

Before 2 by twarawa, on Flickr

Front View 2 by twarawa, on Flickr

Left Side 2 by twarawa, on Flickr

Right Side 2 by twarawa, on Flickr

Top View 2 by twarawa, on Flickr

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I think you're off to a nice start. You've started to achieve the oak - like structure that works best with boxwoods

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Nice start for sure, great job for a first styling.

ZenZilla

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great job I just did a nursery stock actually a $7 clearance from Walmart lol

linlaoboo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
the structure old southern oak trees have. its what many people try to make boxwoods look like. very natural and pleasing. its a compliment.

I googled and see what you mean now, branches grow from the same point, just like the box wood except 50 times the size, they're truly majestic.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Very nice start. There's still a small tangle of branches (it appears in the photo) in the center of the tree, but don't thin them TOO much.

Here is a pic of a live oak. Many folks pattern their boxwoods after this. My attempt:

Attachments

• ligve oak - google images.JPG
    ligve oak - google images.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 48
  • Boxwood live oak.JPG
    Boxwood live oak.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 55

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Very good start. Well done!

I would give the thinner branches more bends or cut them shorter (just make sure to leave some green at the ends) then pinch regularly after. Boxwood responds really well to pinching for me.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
BTW, where you have trident (peace sign, chicken feet, etc.) shaped branches, consider reducing those to 2 now or you may regret not doing so down the road.

twarawa

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
2A
Very nice start. There's still a small tangle of branches (it appears in the photo) in the center of the tree, but don't thin them TOO much.

Here is a pic of a live oak. Many folks pattern their boxwoods after this. My attempt:

Thanks. As I said it's my first attempt so I didn't exactly know how to put it all together. I basically picked the tree's front and made all of my adjustments keeping that side in mind. With some more practice maybe I'll be able to style with all sides in mind but for now this will have to do.

Also, I assume I am correct in waiting until spring to repot into a bonsai soil? And how much of the rootball is it OK to remove at once when repotting?

Thanks,

Tyler

will0911

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
Also, I assume I am correct in waiting until spring to repot into a bonsai soil? And how much of the rootball is it OK to remove at once when repotting?

Boxwoods can take quite a root pruning. Although, you don't have to if you dont feel comfortable doing it. Maybe around 50%-60%...that's what i would take. Well, actually i would probably take more haha, but you can slowly work it down every spring if you want to. Do you have a pot you would like to get it into or are you just going to cut the pot it is in now down further?

Top Bottom