First styling nursery bought dwarf Crepe Myrtle

Haoleboy

Mame
Reaction score
Picked this and three other dwarf Crepe Myrtles yesterday. I was told they are Dazzle Crepe Myrtles. I've only seen these on the Net. I noticed, the internodes are very short. This is good and bad. These little crepes develop reverse taper if they're left unattended. This is the better of the four. I only pruned and pulled down the larger of the branches. I'll wire the finer twigs and re-pot next winter. The base of trunk is almost 3" across.

Not much info on this variety nor is there much out there on these as bonsai. Price was very good considering what I have found on the Net.

This one seems to be off to a pretty good start.

Tree 1 of 4:

0311170843b_HDR.jpg 0311171210.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Damn that is nice.
Helpful hint. Notice that some of the branches you guy wired down are starting to tear away from the branch or trunk they are attached to. This is one of many negatives to guide wires vs traditional wiring of a branch. Where you see a tear started, remove guide wire, and put a dab of cut paste over the wound.

Somewhere on this site is the link to Colin Lewis's excellent video tutorial on wiring.

Hope that helps.
@sorce - do you have the Colin link?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know crepe....

But after I tear something I just leave it alone....

I recently unwired my torn ficus after severe ripping. In 3 places.

Sometimes even applying paste can be further damaging.

Sometimes it's better to freeze...wait a couple weeks, clean it out and apply paste later.

Just friggin be careful Dorian!

Sorce

Haoleboy

Mame
Reaction score
Damn that is nice.
Helpful hint. Notice that some of the branches you guy wired down are starting to tear away from the branch or trunk they are attached to. This is one of many negatives to guide wires vs traditional wiring of a branch. Where you see a tear started, remove guide wire, and put a dab of cut paste over the wound.

Somewhere on this site is the link to Colin Lewis's excellent video tutorial on wiring.

Hope that helps.
@sorce - do you have the Colin link?
Shootz! I'm glad you pointed that out. I didn't even notice. That's one thing I do know about crepes. They snap very easily. Wire is removed. Fortunately, that was the only one. I'll have to keep an eye out for others to break. I'm sure I would've noticed it while I was bending it down. Had to have happened sometime afterwards. After looking at that branch, I should've just wired it. Thanks for the heads up. I'll be very careful with that branch over the next couple years.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've said this before: once deciduous wood has lignified, it really doesn't work trying to wire them. The time to wire them is when the shoots are still soft and flexible. In the spring and summer. Use aluminum, and remove it in a month to six weeks when it starts to cut in.

The great deciduous trees are grown, not manipulated. That's why they take much, much longer to develop than conifers.

Top Bottom