First time bonsai - old gold juniper

Reaction score
Hi everyone, first time poster here and I’m trying my hand at bonsai for the first time.

I’ve killed two trees already before even getting them in the pot 🤦‍♂️ I was overly cautious and didn’t dive in before it was too late.

This last weekend I got a cheap old gold Juniper and got to it. If anyone has recommendations on the trimming, I’m all ears.

I have wire somewhere (it got lost in my family’s last move) so I’m thinking I’ll give the tree a bit to get used to being potted and then take a crack at wiring.

Attachments

• B141769C-2B86-46AB-9013-9AA62B78AA8F.jpeg
    B141769C-2B86-46AB-9013-9AA62B78AA8F.jpeg
    328.8 KB · Views: 61
  • B9EF068F-17C0-46CC-9548-5A0BCB949DBC.jpeg
    B9EF068F-17C0-46CC-9548-5A0BCB949DBC.jpeg
    302.2 KB · Views: 59

Scorpius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You repotted and pruned heavily in the same year. You only want one major offense if at all per year. Let it grow 1-2 years before wiring or doing any other major work. Welcome to B-nut by the way. :cool:

Forestcat

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Patience is the most important quality to develop as a bonsai grower. As Scorpius said, don't do too much too soon. Before diving into a project, make sure it is the right season for what you are attempting to do.

Juniper are very sturdy so it will probably recover, but they depend on their foliage to build new roots. No more trimming this year, and I wouldn't even wire it. It needs to build back some strength, develop back budding (next year) and the trunk needs to get thicker. It is a very young tree, so the branches are still very flexible and you don't need to be in a hurry about wiring, which is best done in the fall for several reasons.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've a similar one. Second pic is where it started out. Tuff little shrub. Let it grow and if healthy this fall trim and wire should be okay. The guys above are right. Looks like potting soil?

Attachments

• IMG_20210501_104836968.jpg
    IMG_20210501_104836968.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20160208_172711918.jpg
    IMG_20160208_172711918.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 41
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone! Still figuring out the ropes so this is helpful. I used a cactus potting soil but was wondering if that was the right type.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thanks, everyone! Still figuring out the ropes so this is helpful. I used a cactus potting soil but was wondering if that was the right type.
I think the cactus soil will do for now. If the water flows easily through it, you're good to go. I know you want to "do" bonsai, but many trees are killed with love. You're more likely to kill a tree by doing something to it than by not doing something to it. That is, except for watering. No water = dead tree.

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi Jesse, welcome. Where is it you live? Look up what your hardiness zone is and add your location and zone to your profile. People’s advice here will dictate often times on your climate exposure.

You’ve gotten some good advice here. One of the biggest rookie mistakes (that most of us made as well) is lack of patience. We get our first tree and we want to play and apply everything we think we know all at once. Keep this guy out of extreme light and heat for at least a couple weeks and then move to full sunlight. I’d say give it some food in a couple of months or after you start seeing some new growth.

😎🍻

Top Bottom