First time feeding

Nor Cal AC

Mame
Reaction score
I separated two seemingly successful airlayers about 3 weeks ago. When should I feed the newly separated airlayers for the first time.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I start feeding separated layers right away.

Nor Cal AC

Mame
Reaction score
What is your preferred mode for fertilizing newly separated air layers. I've been using this on my mature bonsais.IMG_20200727_120738225.jpg I purchased from a bonsai website.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know lots of folks get hung up on the details of the fertilizer. I've always been in the camp of "Fertilize with anything you can find, as long as you fertilize". I do try to find ferts that have more nitrogen as ammonia or ammonium salts rather than urea. Urea has to break down before it's accessible to plants. But that being said, I'll use just about anything.

Nor Cal AC

Mame
Reaction score
One last question. These air layers were my first. I took the advice from a YouTube video from herons nursery in London and transplanted my air layers into straight sphagnum Moss to promote vigorous root growth. Will a fertilizer have the same effect in that medium versus a soil medium. I guess I'm worried the sphagnum Moss surrounding the air layer won't retain the nutrients as long.

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
BTW Herons Bonsai Is not in London its in Surrey!
Peter Chan has his own unique ways and they seem to work. Remember hes talking about Sphagnum moss not moss peat Suggest you keep your fertiliser well diluted to start with.

Last edited:

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The moss will retain the fertilizers longer than inorganic substrates like lava or pumice. You should always take advice from experienced, local experts, but if you keep it in sphagnum moss, be careful that it doesn't stay too wet for too long.

Nor Cal AC

Mame
Reaction score
Thank you for the watering info. In northern California we have sustained temps of over 95 degrees for 2 plus months so I've been very worried about it drying out. I have them on a drip at 10 minutes in the morning and 10 minutes in the late afternoon.

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
You separated the air layers about 3 weeks ago, you said you have sustained temps of over 95 degrees for 2 plus months , so all the more reason to be cautious with feeding till the soft new roots have got well established, otherwide in that heat, with rapid evaporation rates,the salt concentration in your substrate could build up and cause damage to the young roots. Personally I would hold off another month

Nor Cal AC

Mame
Reaction score
That makes perfect sense to me. thank you. Both the air layers are looking very healthy right now 1 seems to be having a new flush of leaves which tells me they're healthy. I'll wait a month or so till the temps start going down. Thanks for the advice

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What is your preferred mode for fertilizing newly separated air layers. I've been using this on my mature bonsais.View attachment 318883 I purchased from a bonsai website.
Hm.. I have some boxes of stuff that look like this. I am always concerned with little balls of salt added to the substrate. How does this work for you? No problems?

I actualy grind this stuff into a powder and dissolve before using. Too much of a concern

Nor Cal AC

Mame
Reaction score
Hm.. I have some boxes of stuff that look like this. I am always concerned with little balls of salt added to the substrate. How does this work for you? No problems?

I actualy grind this stuff into a powder and dissolve before using. Too much of a concern
I've been using it for about two years seems to work fine for general feedings. I've been keeping them in whole form yes, they seem to work in a Time release manner only releasing nutrients when watered.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ryan Neil goes into good detail about trees not needing fertilizer to live.

So any time wasted worrying about wether or not, should quickly be quelled with....

Fugetaboutit.

Sorce

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've been using it for about two years seems to work fine for general feedings. I've been keeping them in whole form yes, they seem to work in a Time release manner only releasing nutrients when watered.
cool. So I can stop grinding and use my ' al bundi cheapo' fertilizer boxes diretly!?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ryan Neil goes into good detail about trees not needing fertilizer to live.

So any time wasted worrying about wether or not, should quickly be quelled with....

Fugetaboutit.

Sorce
not to live.
But for bulking and staying healthy..?

Ryan who?

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
The moss definitely doesn't dry out. I put about 3 in of lava rock on the bottom of the pot to help draining
I believe he was actually referring to making sure the moss doesn’t stay too wet and over-watering to cause root rot.... the tree will grow just fine in that IF you take the proper care. Good luck dude.

Top Bottom