First Time Posted Anywhere!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have these two little shantung maples, the only survivors from a batch of seedlings sold to me as "trident" maples. The smaller of the two is about six inches tall, and the other closer to a foot. I expect both will become shohin. The taller of the two has the oddest taper at the bottom. I think the tree needs to be much shorter to take advantage of that.

P1012869a.jpg

P1012870a.jpg

P1012874a.jpg

Last edited:

JTGJr25

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I do like this tree and I'm interested to see where you take it.

It's nice to see the topic of bonsai around here :rolleyes: .

Tom

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am glad to see Chris, that you are testing this species. I was worried that I am the only one. It has great fall color, even in warmer climates, which is a great plus. It also has a delicate leaf shape.

My shantung is still in the ground, possible for another 3 years.

The downside is the long leaf stalks. It will be interesting to see how the internodes and leaves can be reduced in bonsai culture. I haven't had the chance to work on this aspect, since I am ony interested to create some character, at this point.
May be this species can be a future winner.

Last edited:

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Cool Chris, I like the shape of the leaf's and if they were able to be acceptable for bonsai culture they would be awesome! Color is excellent too....now I bet you wish'd you had kept a few more, huh?

Thanks for posting! Jason

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cool Chris, I like the shape of the leaf's and if they were able to be acceptable for bonsai culture they would be awesome! Color is excellent too....now I bet you wish'd you had kept a few more, huh?

Thanks for posting! Jason

No kidding! I have two, but of course to know is to take cuttings...

Top Bottom