First Time Repotting 36 yr old KH

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I obtained this Carpinus Turczaninowii ("The Other" Korean Hornbeam) last year, a little too late in spring to repot it...
I was told by the seller that the man who grew it, along with hundreds more, is now 90+ years young and he began these KH's from seed 35 years ago.

It was already in somewhat poor health because several apical branches, and some lower were dead.
This year, I see that 2 branches did not bud out....so needless to say, this tree NEEDED THIS repotting.

I plan to air layer the long skinny top off next year, and build 2 better trees.

Anyway, to the carnage....:
KIMG0156.JPGKIMG0157.JPGKIMG0158.JPGKIMG0160.JPGKIMG0159.JPGKIMG0161.JPGKIMG0162.JPGKIMG0163.JPGKIMG0164.JPGKIMG0165.JPG

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Please excuse the messy basement... We're in the middle of packing and moving...
Everything is out of place.

Those were some really compacted roots, good job on getting it done. I'll bet it fills that pot up by next year. Don't you hate it when you spend all that time combing everything out and then start cutting and all that you have left is just a few roots? I have always thought of how much time that I would have saved if I had only just snipped a bunch out before all of that combing.

John

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Those were some really compacted roots, good job on getting it done. I'll bet it fills that pot up by next year. Don't you hate it when you spend all that time combing everything out and then start cutting and all that you have left is just a few roots? I have always thought of how much time that I would have saved if I had only just snipped a bunch out before all of that combing.

John
Haha!
Yes, certainly!

I'm just at a point where I'm going in deep on all my trees, during repotting.
I want to either get them on the right track to a good Nebari, or die....

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Haha!
Yes, certainly!

I'm just at a point where I'm going in deep on all my trees, during repotting.
I want to either get them on the right track to a good Nebari, or die....

Great minds think alike, lol. I started that last year, I have so many cuttings, trees, etc, most will not ever be anything if they aren't pushed so I push them hard and hope they make it.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Cutting the roots back hard is a good thing....eventually resulting in a better, more healthy,ramification of the roots. I say that....but I really need to practice that myself. This year.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Cutting the roots back hard is a good thing....eventually resulting in a better, more healthy,ramification of the roots. I say that....but I really need to practice that myself. This year.

Well, yeah, we were just joking about all the work combing them out on to cut them all off, it would be easier to cut the all off to begin with.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I usually start with a saw if the rootball looks like that, it does save a lot of time, and you know that the tree needs that hard cutting to regrow good feeders again. Nice line on that elegant tree, I like those, and of course love HB. I agree with the air layer, I have one that I will probably air layer every branch off of a large bottom trunk this year.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I usually start with a saw if the rootball looks like that, it does save a lot of time, and you know that the tree needs that hard cutting to regrow good feeders again. Nice line on that elegant tree, I like those, and of course love HB. I agree with the air layer, I have one that I will probably air layer every branch off of a large bottom trunk this year.
Thanks Judy!
I know you're the HB Queen!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Bam. HB Queen... like that. I've been promoted!

You know the worst thing, I have a friend who I've gotten into bonsai, and he recently picked up a cute medium sized one, and since it came from Texas, I'm storing it in my greenhouse till spring arrives. I have been trying to wheedle my way into ownership, but so far no luck.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom