First time repotting help please

bern41

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I've had this bonsai for a couple of years. I haven't done much with it other than water and shape it. I have read that I should not repot until Spring time but I notice that there are some exposed roots. You can see these in the close up of the picture. Should I just wait until Sprint to repot or is the tree in any danger right now because of the exposed roots? Also, I want to wire the tree, and I'm reading that can be done anytime. But should I wait until after I repot it to wire? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0274.JPG
    IMG_0274.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0275.JPG
    IMG_0275.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 63

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
This tree is far from being desperate for repotting. You could probably let it go for another five years. The exposed roots you see are a good thing, and nothing to worry about. Most people would be glad to see them unless you are thinking in terms of a bonsai is like a house plant. It would also be helpful if you finish filling out your member profile so at least we knew what part of the world you live in------this is important when asking for information about most cultural issues and repotting is one of them.

bern41

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thank you so much for your prompt response. I will get on the member profile ASAP. FYI I live in Georgia. This is my first bonsai.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Why do you think it needs to be repotted now?
Due to the exposed roots?
As Vance said, no worries on that...
Are there any other problems, like bad drainage?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
You don't want to wire after repot....
As the jostling will disturb the newly growing roots.

Wire it now!

http://www.bonsainut.com/threads/about-wiring.25831/

Sorce
I agree, if you want to wire do it now not after you repot if you decide to repot. However this is a Procumbens Juniper and easily broken with bad wiring techniques. Go though the information supplied in the wiring threads and learn don't just toss some wire on stuff and expect it to work like magic. Besides; once you get wire on it what are you going to do with it? Describe and explain?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Besides; once you get wire on it what are you going to do with it? Describe and explain?

Great exercise.

Bern.....

Some thin skinned folks could take that the wrong way....

But if you take time to read the wire threads....
And formulate a good answer....

You will be on a righteous path.

I look forward to your answer in a couple few days!

Sorce

Top Bottom