First time with Alberta spruce

Phillthy

Mame
Reaction score
I was bored during the weekend and I bought an Alberta spruce at Home Depot. Brought it home and styled it. This is my first time styling an Alberta spruce. I know they don't backup well and stay in place after wiring. Is there any specific steps on after care? The tree is outside. Do I need to water is as often since it's winter? I would like to see this thing stay alive during the winter. Any advice would be great.

Attachments

• IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    259.9 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0011.JPG
    IMG_0011.JPG
    419.2 KB · Views: 139

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is the base on the second one really that big? Damn!

That's a bit much to take off at once.

Sorce

Phillthy

Mame
Reaction score
Yeah I got too clipper happy :/
As for the base I was shocked when I saw that while I was digging around.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah I got too clipper happy :/
As for the base I was shocked when I saw that while I was digging around.

Kill!

Oddities like that are worth going slow with....

Never again!

Sorce

Phillthy

Mame
Reaction score
I'm so mad at myself for taking too much off. Hopefully they survive. As for the aftercare, I don't have space to dig it into the ground. Right now it's placed in a wooden box (to stop the wind) thats the same height as the tree and the bottom is filled with leaves. Will that help it survive? Does the tree need to be in full sun and only the pot/roots covered in leaves? Help. I will get aphoto later once I leave work.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'm so mad at myself for taking too much off. Hopefully they survive. As for the aftercare, I don't have space to dig it into the ground. Right now it's placed in a wooden box (to stop the wind) thats the same height as the tree and the bottom is filled with leaves. Will that help it survive? Does the tree need to be in full sun and only the pot/roots covered in leaves? Help. I will get aphoto later once I leave work.

as long as you havnt messed with the roots, leaving it where it receives light and sun should be fine. funnily enough i like the second one, it looks like a wild spruce, but yes its a lot all at once, ive been guilty of this on a few occasions. i assume the material is cheap and easy to come by so good for learning on. but you may as well go all out and remove the two low branches, for the 'literati' look, seriously though, were there any buds on the branches you've left? the main thing with hard pruning spruce is leaving buds on the branches for sap to flow to, otherwise they'll struggle. in future you could reduce the base with carving....or a pair of knob cutters:D

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Phillthy

Mame
Reaction score
@BobbyLane so you're saying I don't have to keep it inside the wooden box? i didnt touch the roots. I'm following the 1 insult per year rule. I got this Alberta spruce for $14 so I'd say it's fairly cheap. I love practicing on trees when I'm bored which is majority of the time. I just found out what "literati style" is and I love that look. Isn't the trunk on my tree too straight though? Most of the literati styled trees have twisty trunks.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
@BobbyLane so you're saying I don't have to keep it inside the wooden box? i didnt touch the roots. I'm following the 1 insult per year rule. I got this Alberta spruce for $14 so I'd say it's fairly cheap. I love practicing on trees when I'm bored which is majority of the time. I just found out what "literati style" is and I love that look. Isn't the trunk on my tree too straight though? Most of the literati styled trees have twisty trunks.

I can't really comment on how you should store the tree in your climate, i keep all mine on my balcony and they stay out all year, no real protection. but in new york you get a lot of snow over winter right, maybe do what the other folks do in your region, personally i think trees get molly coddled far too much. spruce are mountain trees.
your trunk is a little straight yes and i dont think you should remove anymore from it, i would get the higher branches drooping a little more so there isnt such a gap between the bottom branches. would look more harmonious, or just let it rest. at least its a start mate, gotta start somewhere, well done for trying and showing the work you've done;)

Andrew Robson

Shohin
Reaction score

Literati refers to penjing. In bonsai we say bunjin.

These alberta spruce might be good practice subjects, but they generally don't make good bonsai.

Top Bottom