First tree - Dappled Willow aka Hakuro Nishiki aka Salix Integra, needing advice

Jugglenuts

Seed
Reaction score
First attempt, yesterday I picked up a tree from home depot on sale. I know it's probably not great for bonsai, and especially not for a beginner, but my selection was limited.
It's very tall and wondering about when/how to shorten it.
My idea was to lop off everything above the direction change on the main trunk (first pic arrow), but not sure if I should do that sooner or wait for winter for normal pruning time.

The eventual plan (unless it sounds horrible?) is to have a Y shape trunk with the split starting at either the "1" or "2" (hard to see the 2) each with a sort of bushy-looking top like the plant would have if it was full grown.

From what I understand I should leave the shoots at "3" for now, for the sake of not disturbing it too much too soon. (Alternatively, just have one of those very bottom branches at "3" become a trunk and have a V shape instead of Y. Thoughts?

Finally, as for care, I was hoping to keep this indoor with a grow light if possible. I live in a highrise in Chicago so the wind can get pretty extreme at times on my balcony. It should be able to survive the winter if it was outdoors, but I'd rather wait until it's a bit thicker for the sake of the wind. I know the general advice is not to repot right after getting it, but I was going to do some potting of dwarf indoor citrus trees tomorrow, can I get away with repotting it then? (I'd delay the pruning/lopping if I do pot it - no need to stress it out with everything changing at the same time).

My hopes aren't that high, but that's why it's a first plant! If this was on your table, what would you do to it (if anything)?

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Welcome buddy!

If this was my tree, I would find the receipt and return it. Then use the money to get something more suited to indoor growing. Like those "bonsai" trees at your home depot. But get a ficus as I read they're less finicky.

If you decide to keep it and repot, try not to disturb the roots too much. But why in such a hurry? Could just wait till next spring. I wouldn't chop anything until the trunk is almost the desired diameter.

Salix love lots of water, and lights. Sun lights

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This needs to be outside only. It is also really a bad choice for a bonsai for a multitude of reasons.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Let me make two suggestions.

First, you can repot the willow now, as long as you just move it to a larger container without disturbing the roots. Then put it on the balcony, give it lots of water and fertilizer, and let it grow until the trunk is nice and thick. Don't bring it inside. Then post some more photos and start thinking about possible bonsai training. As others have said, willows are not ideal species for bonsai. But that doesn't mean you can't have fun with it as a potted tree.

Second, if you want an indoor bonsai, get a Ficus microcarpa and/or a dwarf schefflera. These are probably the species most tolerant of indoor conditions, especially if you can use lights. Ficus can be trained in almost any style. Schefflera are easiest as banyan or clump style so are more limited. But they are even more bullet proof than ficus.

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Return it. If you want to grow indoors figure out what your lighting conditions are. Grow lights will never hurt. Once you feel you can provide enough light look into purchasing a tree that can be indoors. There are plenty of options. Mind you all of these would love to be outside in the summer.

Jugglenuts

Seed
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice all. I'll keep it for now, but probably ditch the attempts to bonsai it. Kind of a bummer, but I'll keep looking around locally for species that can be kept indoors better.

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You can start a citrus bonsai from seed and move indoors in Autumn. Any tropical bonsai would work well indoors but they prefer outdoors in the warm season
Plus you could always try to develop a cutting from your dappled Willow as a bonsai since willows root so easily

Jugglenuts

Seed
Reaction score
Funny enough you say that Naga! I have 3 dwarf indoor(ish) citrus trees (key lime, lemon, tangerine) arriving today. I was half-thinking about bonsai-ing the tangerine one (I want the limes and lemons!) if it seemed suitable.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Thanks for the advice all. I'll keep it for now, but probably ditch the attempts to bonsai it. Kind of a bummer, but I'll keep looking around locally for species that can be kept indoors better.
Hi, I just was searching myself for dappled willow on the site and came across this old thread. Wondering what happened with yours.
Did u plant in the ground?
I have a couple of these. One of which I think may one day be a fairly decent bonsai.
Got this dramAtic lighting shot this morning. 😀0F1FDB38-2A5B-45CA-BAF5-324BF4FFE92E.jpeg

Steakguy

Seed
Reaction score
I have three very large dappled willow bushes in my backyard, and they are pretty easy to propagate. I've used the dappled willow in a forest style arrangement. Considering doing a multitrunk style this year.

Top Bottom