First tree ever - Juniper

enoc22

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hi all,
I wanted to post my first project and gather any critiques/tips others with more experience under their belt may have.
I started with a Chinese juniper “old gold” I found at Lowe’s. I know this may not be the best, but i figured it's a better start than not at all. I looked through their stock and found one that had an interesting trunk. I tried not to be super harsh with pruning but thinned and trimmed to where I think a good starting point would be and wanted to give it some time to rest and recover. I haven’t done any root trimming yet. Still in the nursery pot.
The first 5 photos are of the tree as it's rotated clockwise, the 6th is from the top, and the 7th is the amount of material removed(probably not super important to know)
Anyways, Let me know what ya'll think, any improvements you might see, and any words of wisdom for someone just start their journey in Bonsai!

Thanks
Oliver

Attachments

• IMG-0050.JPG
    IMG-0050.JPG
    212.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG-0051.JPG
    IMG-0051.JPG
    217 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG-0052.JPG
    IMG-0052.JPG
    195.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG-0053.JPG
    IMG-0053.JPG
    218.7 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG-0054.JPG
    IMG-0054.JPG
    219.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG-0056.JPG
    IMG-0056.JPG
    271.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG-0055.JPG
    IMG-0055.JPG
    288.9 KB · Views: 45

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It looks like a good start but the pictures are a bit busy. Congrats and welcome.

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Have you thought about how each branch contributes to the design? Also did you look for the nebari yet. That helps with branch selection and front selection.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Winter is coming - this juniper will be 100% winter hardy in your area if you get it outside now and keep it outside. For the winter set it against the north side of your building, so it is in winter shade. If you have a spot with a windbreak on 2 or 3 sides that would be perfect. It is very difficult to winter indoors. Outdoors would be best.

Style - you have a nice start. You removed all I would take at this time of year. Leave it rest and build strength to ride out the winter. Late spring or summer will be the next time to work on it. Until then you can read and learn.

Top Bottom