First Tree of the New Year 2017 Thread

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Happy New Year to all the other bonsai nuts out there!

I thought I would start by posting my first tree of 2017: an interestingly shaped multi-trunked yamadori Engelmann spruce from Nature's Way Nursery. This one might make an excellent windswept style and I really like the degree of dwarfing/reduction evident in the needles from likely growing near the treeline in the Colorado Rockies for many years.

I plan to go real slow with training/repotting, etc. with this one, absolutely no hurry.

20170104_214928.jpg

harpua.cam

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
First trees of 2017. I think the willow leaf has a lot of great shohin potential. Not sure the direction to take the Taiwan ficus just yet.

Attachments

• IMG_1282.JPG
    IMG_1282.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 48

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Added a few more starters toward rebuilding a collection here at my new location today. Nothing that dramatic but here it goes:

20170223_191824.jpg
Korean hornbean(Carpinus coreana), just needed one of these. This was purchased sight unseen by just selecting a size, and it was understood that was is being sold is starter material. I will be planting this in a 5 gallon(possibly Anderson flat) and growing out for a few years.

20170223_191758.jpg
(Bad pic) left to right: Gingko biloba, adorable two year JWP (Pinus parviflora) seedling and a nice little shapely Stewartia monadelphia.

A Sitka spruce seedling should arrive tomorrow. Had to have one of this species after reading "The Golden Spruce" in 2005.

Guy Vitale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
A bit of an impulse buy since I can't even get it shipped out until it warms up, my second Coast Redwood from Bob and Zack Shimon. After successfully keeping and working the first one over the last 2 and a half years, I wanted to pick up one that can be styled in a more customary formal upright. I think it's great that Bob and Zack keep the collected material until it's well established and do nothing to the foliage, it's literally a blank canvas for the buyer. 6" wide by 23" tall, it's going to make a very nice formal upright.

Attachments

• IMG_0552.JPG
    IMG_0552.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 16

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nice redwood guy! Redwood and sequoia are next on my acquisition list but I will simply be getting a small sapling of each on eBay.

After that:

Picea abies
Picea pungens
Ulmus americana
Ulmus minor
Fagus grandiflora
Carpinus carolina
Quercus robur
Prunus mume
Prunus serotina
Acer campestre
Abies fraseri
Taxodium distichum
Tilia cordata
Pinus densiflora

Guy Vitale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Very nice list Miker, check out Giant-sequoia.com I believe, I know the guy puts his trees on eBay as well though. Coast Redwoods are tricky, they need to be treated like sub tropicals when wintering them. It took me a couple years keeping them before I pulled the trigger on a nice collected one. Same with Giant Sequoias, they need the cold for dormancy, but need protection from extreme cold and cold windy winters. If you ever get any, just give me a hollar, I'll let you know what not to do.

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thank you for the information, advice and encouragement Guy. I am sure I will be seeking your guidance soon enough! I believe I have read in the past that sequoias can survive in-ground in parts of the mid-Atlantic, maybe redwoods as well. In a pot, I will certainly keep them protected about like my Torreya taxifolia, unless advised otherwise.

Guy Vitale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I believe I have read in the past that sequoias can survive in-ground in parts of the mid-Atlantic, maybe redwoods as well
Sequoia's possibly, but needs protection for a few years until the roots establish in the ground, Redwoods not very likely, not sure what the sustained minimum temps are that they can tolerate, but boy, I wish I could grow them here outside.

Top Bottom