First Tree Questions

Reaction score
As a birthday present, my mom gave me my first Bonsai tree, and I’m very excited because I’ve always wanted one. The problem is that I don’t know how to take care of it, and reading multiple websites gave me contradicting information.

The receipt with it says Green Mound Juniper Bonsai (Outdoor)

I was wondering if it would be possible to grow it inside, and how I would go about doing that

I live in central Illinois if that makes a difference

Attachments

• ABD4B0E2-AFFA-46CD-A0B1-CAAE2D51B8A7.jpeg
    ABD4B0E2-AFFA-46CD-A0B1-CAAE2D51B8A7.jpeg
    370.1 KB · Views: 35
Reaction score
In case anything appears to be wrong with my tree, allow me to say that this is day one with it so I’ll blame someone else

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Welcome to this hobby! To answer your question, no, you cannot grow it inside. It will die. It needs full sunlight and regular watering. Good luck!

JosephCooper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Junipers live outdoors. Green mound juniper can survive colder than your climate, so keep it outside even in winter.

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yea, Junipers definitely need dormancy or they’ll basically grow themselves to death. So, even if you have the perfect window with plenty of bright sunlight- the tree would eventually die. I would research watering and feeding to start with, because if you don’t learn these foundational practices it won’t matter where you sit the tree.
But it’s a good looking tree!!! I hope you do well!!! And just keep in mind, we’ve all killed a tree or two, so no matter what happens just keep learning and don’t be discouraged!!!

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Advice from a fellow novice

Learn to water... be observant to understand when to water. Use a chopstick in the soil to check.

Get more trees (not necessarily labelled bonsai). Box store junipers are not very expensive and gives you more opportunities to practice.

Look for a bonsai class.

Top Bottom