First tree wiring

Nj6964

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I’ve had this dwarf Alberta spruce for a few months now and it was my first tree. I thinned it out when I first got it and have been waiting for colder weather to wire all the branches down from their 45 degree upward facing direction. This is my first pass at wiring a tree and although it’s pretty ugly I’ll let it grow over the next year and restyle next fall if I can wait. I was surprised at easy real bonsai wire is to work with. Prior to this I tried using 12 & 14 ga electrical wire, not so easy.

I know I’ll have to trim a bunch of the lower limbs but for now I figured I’d practice wiring them and maybe increase my chances of not killing the tree by keeping them for a season.

The one photo is in front of my door but for some reason I looked at the tree outside later last night and it looked better at whatever viewing angle I was at, forgive that dark photo. Any criticism is welcome!!

Attachments

• 4BEE015B-A72F-4213-AF1E-40347F0F8753.jpeg
    4BEE015B-A72F-4213-AF1E-40347F0F8753.jpeg
    270.2 KB · Views: 35
  • D1B9C47B-0F6D-4610-B3B4-00FFFCEDA43D.jpeg
    D1B9C47B-0F6D-4610-B3B4-00FFFCEDA43D.jpeg
    131.3 KB · Views: 34

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’ve had this dwarf Alberta spruce for a few months now and it was my first tree. I thinned it out when I first got it and have been waiting for colder weather to wire all the branches down from their 45 degree upward facing direction. This is my first pass at wiring a tree and although it’s pretty ugly I’ll let it grow over the next year and restyle next fall if I can wait. I was surprised at easy real bonsai wire is to work with. Prior to this I tried using 12 & 14 ga electrical wire, not so easy.

I know I’ll have to trim a bunch of the lower limbs but for now I figured I’d practice wiring them and maybe increase my chances of not killing the tree by keeping them for a season.

The one photo is in front of my door but for some reason I looked at the tree outside later last night and it looked better at whatever viewing angle I was at, forgive that dark photo. Any criticism is welcome!!
Lol!!! That’s aluminum wire. Yeah, it’s easier than non annealed copper that you have been using, but well annealed copper goes on just as easily, and holds better.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not bad for a first wiring job. Aluminum wire is a better choice than copper on this species because you can leave it on the branches longer before the wire "bites in". Alberta spruce are very reluctant to hold their shape after the wire is removed. So you will be able to get a lot of wiring practice on this plant.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not bad for a first wiring job. Aluminum wire is a better choice than copper on this species because you can leave it on the branches longer before the wire "bites in". Alberta spruce are very reluctant to hold their shape after the wire is removed. So you will be able to get a lot of wiring practice on this plant.
Stan, that’s an amusing theory. Wire “bites in” because of branch tissue growth. Are you suggesting that it will grow less when wired with aluminum?

Now, I will grant you that aluminum wire is thicker than the comparable strength copper, so the wire scars are wider. However, this wire looks a bit undersized...

And aluminum will relax more than copper will. So the positions are less likely to stay, even while the wire is on.

Wiring, whether using aluminum or copper is not a “once and done” thing. All conifers will need multiple wirings. In fact, pretty much as long as they are bonsai.

Properly sized copper will hold the branch in place until it is removed. Springy branches can overcome aluminum over time.

Aluminum will work, but it’s inferior to copper for conifers.

Top Bottom