First tree!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
After doing a bunch of research I purchased a Ficus Ginseng. I have had it for about a week and have just left it. I believe I am just supposed to fertilize and let it grow for a while correct? I am also attaching a picture... The knob in the middle... can I do anything to get growth from it? Cut it etc? Thank you and I look forward to learning.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Im not seeing a picture atm, maybe its still being processed

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For me, it's points enough for "best name of 2021" nomination.

Welcome to Crazy!

Presplit deadwood.

Sorce

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
@Bonsai White Belt Don't feel bad, many people start their journey in bonsai with one of these ficus. It will at least teach you how to water and care for it, important first steps. Somewhere down the road, maybe next summer, I would chop off the tubes. If you add your geographical location to your profile, you will get the best advice for growing in your part of the world. Welcome!

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Am petitioning to have your first tree replace by a tree donated by one of the BNut member. Where do you live. If you are in Houston vicinity, let me know.. I can definitely have something much more decent for you to start your bonsai journey.
Am hoping we will have someone that can offer the same once you have your location filled out. Come on Bnutters... Am counting on you to stop these hideous mallsai from taking hold of our future generation. I volunteer to give some of my trees for new comers.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I was thinking about a dwarf jade next? This hobby is way out my comfort level, which is why I chose it. But don't want to kill an expensive tree.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Any Westchester NY in the house that have some decent plants to donate for a good cause?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I second the tube chopping! I rescued a tube monster from Walmart and cut them off as soon as I got home. It's recovering nicely in a DE colander. When it cools down a little I'll take it outside. Right now it's 100 degrees, so when I say cool down I mean high 80s lol.

1630018427534.png
Before the nasty phallic roots were cut and the elephant poop "soil" was cleaned off.

1630018540791.png

After.

1630018587943.png

Recovering in ICU. It's already started budding new leaves since the photo was taken. Apparently trees like soil that doesn't have the density of concrete?

I'm just a newbie such as yourself, but I have been growing indoor non-bonsai ficus trees for about 5 years. As long as they're in a healthy state you can mutilate them pretty well. But here's what I would do to your mallsai if it was mine to make it look like a sumo shohin. Embrace that bubble butt trunk! Cut where the red line is on the photo below, put a little rooting powder on the cut and stick it in a colander of perlite or DE until it roots at the cut. Alternatively you can stick it in water to root while changing out the water every day, but I don't like this method as whatever roots come out will be adapted to water and it adds an unnecessary adaptation step whenever you do put it in a soil. Just keep it in a moist (not soggy) substrate that can breathe and you'll get roots at the cut mark. Then trim back and shape a new leader like where the blue line is, but only after you have a new healthy root base and it's repotted. You can wire and start training your new leader while it's developing roots though. If you do wire it while it's rooting, I recommend doing it the same day you put it in a colander as moving the tree around in the colander at a later date can harm new roots that come out while wiring it.

1630020121164.png

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
My Parents actually purchased me one of these this summer... I just ended up “working” it last week.

Most bonsai practitioners HATE the bulging.. butt-like (;) ) root systems of ginsengs.. this is because, normally, their absurdity makes any sort of “scale”.. a REAL challenge, beyond novelty.. (I have a bunch of cuttings I am working with too.. sans “ginseng-butt” if you will... 🤣)

This generalized “dislike” of these style of trees can sum up a bit of the weirdness you are experiencing..

Have fun with it! Ficus are like my SECOND favorite plant.... and I LOVE plants. I’m currently working with and developing A bunch of specimens spread out over 5 Species and they ALL have wonderful personalities.

A true Master knows that ALL belts are(were) white.

🤓

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My Parents actually purchased me one of these this summer... I just ended up “working” it last week.

Most bonsai practitioners HATE the bulging.. butt-like (;) ) root systems of ginsengs.. this is because, normally, their absurdity makes any sort of “scale”.. a REAL challenge, beyond novelty.. (I have a bunch of cuttings I am working with too.. sans “ginseng-butt” if you will... 🤣)

This generalized “dislike” of these style of trees can sum up a bit of the weirdness you are experiencing..

Have fun with it! Ficus are like my SECOND favorite plant.... and I LOVE plants. I’m currently working with and developing A bunch of specimens spread out over 5 Species and they ALL have wonderful personalities.

A true Master knows that ALL belts are(were) white.

🤓
What he said!

@Bonsai White Belt, you got it, presumably because you like it, so you grow that mofo!
I don't like them much either, but I like bonsai noobs more.

In fact, I like noobs so much that I might just stay one my whole life.

Grow the HELL outta that SOB! It'll be awesome.

Top Bottom