First Trident Shohin

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Like an epic TV series shown 5 minutes at a time and interrupted by hours of commercials, so too the bonsai progression thread. Which is to say, attached are two pics of a trident maple that I will be developing into a shohin - next posts in a few months.

First order of business was getting it out of the 4" nursery pot and into something larger with bonsai soil. Bare rooted and all roots cut off except the few radiating from the base laterally. Can't discuss nebari on this one just yet as it's really young and the roots have just been set up to grow properly. Given the small root system, I didn't want to pot him up into a grow box just yet. It will likely get repotted and put into a grow box next spring.

The sapling has some nice movement close to the nebari which was followed by a stick-straight trunk which I pruned down to the first branch. Even for a little guy, this branch was tough and needed some thicker wire to bend it down into a better angle.

It's now back-budding fairly low and I will keep these shoots for a while as sacrifice branches as I continue to develop.

Attachments

• TS1.png
    TS1.png
    260.2 KB · Views: 32
  • TS2.jpg
    TS2.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 32
Top Bottom