First Trident

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, the leaves have dropped, and I'm just getting my first look at this tree. It's my first and only trident and was looking for opinions and/or advice about where you nuts might head with this if it were yours. I've been doing bonsai for just over a year, and this fall marks the end of my first full growing season. The first set of pics are from June when I got it, and just before the leaves fell.
I'll post a set of 8 in the next two posts showing the tree at 45 angles rotated clockwise. Thanks.
-Dave

Attachments

• trident1.jpg
    trident1.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 644
  • Fallcolor09.jpg
    Fallcolor09.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 551
  • Fall09closeup.jpg
    Fall09closeup.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 421

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
First set...

Attachments

• 101_2222.jpg
    101_2222.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 348
  • 101_2223.jpg
    101_2223.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 292
  • 101_2224.jpg
    101_2224.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 258
  • 101_2225.jpg
    101_2225.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 275

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
second set...

Attachments

• 101_2226.jpg
    101_2226.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 126
  • 101_2227.jpg
    101_2227.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 120
  • 101_2228.jpg
    101_2228.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 117
  • 101_2229.jpg
    101_2229.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 125

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think this tree has potential. Keep us updated :D

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Top of the tree is unworkable (scars, reverse taper that will just get worse, etc). I would trunk chop it in the early spring when the buds are just starting to swell. DO NOT do anything to the roots at this point (repot, etc). Cut it, let it regain its strength. Wire new branches while they are young (less than 6" long). Trunk as I show it has a lot of promise. I might even cut the top back down another couple of inches and start a new apex (instead of keeping the leader I have in the photo).

tri1.jpg

tri2.jpg

jjbacoomba

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I agree with the chops Bonsainiut drew for you. Its gonna be one heck of a nice looking tree when it grows back. Keep us posted. My Trident hasnt even changed color yet. Looking forward to it. Rock On!!

crhabq

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, I agree w/ bnut. I think you got some good advise there to come up with the best tree possible. If you do the chops advised then I think that within three years you'll have a tree that has nice taper and is ready to go for a nice refined bonsai.

GOZTEK

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
good for you mate i can't grow those here its too hot yesterday i got 2 new large thuja, 1 picea abis, 1 enourmous euonymus i will post some pics soon

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nut's plan is a good one, I think. The top of this is pretty much unworkable

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah nut, I like it!!! I am thinking of performing layers to have more material. Then i started thinking cuttings may take also. either way a reduction is necessary. Thanks all.

dave

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
don't bother with air layering. Nothing above the chop marks is really worth it or would yield anything worth the time and trouble. Focus on the main tree.

Yamadori

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When you chop, make it a bit concave so the scar will heal by allowing the bark to grow (roll over) the cut. Some say put cut paste on larger chops/cuts. Some say don't bother. I happen to have some, so I use it. I figure if it keeps the cut edge from drying out, and if it might improve healing, why not. It sure isn't harmful.

noissee

Mame
Reaction score
I think you should go ahead and layer. Maybe the top is ugly, but since this is your only Trident, the top portion will give you something to play around with. You can observe the way tridents grow and practice some more aggressive techniques on the layer since it is bad material. It's also good to get comfortable with performing layers.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think you should go ahead and layer. Maybe the top is ugly, but since this is your only Trident, the top portion will give you something to play around with. You can observe the way tridents grow and practice some more aggressive techniques on the layer since it is bad material. It's also good to get comfortable with performing layers.

There is no such thing as "bad material"

There is such a thing as "lack of vision".

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
There is no such thing as "bad material"

There is such a thing as "lack of vision".

How about POOR material and ROSE colored glasses.

keep it green,
Harry

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The growing season here is roughly starts around the middle of may-early october. Is this going to allow for layering. When would be a good time to start and remove? You "left-coasters" and sunnysiders are like cheaters w/ that 11.5 month growing season;)

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
OK, so the buds started to swell and I think it might still be too early in the season for work. Freezing night time temperatures can often (and do) occur into May in my neck of the woods. It's been in the unheated garage all winter and still is. I'd like to avoid the inevitable inside/outside bonsai dance for as long as possible.

The buds are a very pale green (barely recieves any light atm) and most no larger than a 1/4 inch. I've didn't have this last spring and I'm curious how much swelling will occur before bud burst. All the other plants I've wintered in the garage are showing signs of life as well. On the other hand, the trees that slept outside aren't quite as quick to wake.

If there's anymore votes for the option to layer, speak now, because I'm getting an itchy trigger finger and I've yet to try out my new knob and branch cutters.

Thanks for your time and imput.

Dave

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also, if i were to chop like this am I gonna have a major taper problem down the road?

Dave

Attachments

• TMvirtspring2010.jpg
    TMvirtspring2010.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 212
Top Bottom