First Trunk Chop Euginia

Haoleboy

Mame
Reaction score
I got this at a nursery around Christmas time. I decided to chop it today. The trunk was about the same size, all the way to the top. Zero taper. I like the fact that the leaves are very small and responds well to pruning. When I got it, it was shaped like a Christmas tree and had 50 or so branches on it. I thinned/trimmed all of the branches way back and about 100 buds broke from the trunk and remainder of the branches. But I would have never been satisfied with the zero taper trunk. So, I chopped it to the lowest branch. I'm guessing I should get several new branches under the chop which I can use later on.

Trunk is still very straight to the chop though. Suppose, when I repot in a couple years, I could tilt the tree to add a little movement. I'm also thinking about carving out the chop to where an old cut off branch was just below the chop. You'll see where I started to carve a hollow, where the dead branch was, but my rotary tool battery died.

I posted a couple of photos and would like some opinions on how to plan for this tree in the future. I would definitely like more taper under the chop.

All advise is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 0130171434.jpg
    0130171434.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 0130171444.jpg
    0130171444.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 61

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Let it grow. If the chop needs to be whittled down from where it is, the die back of the cambium will be obvious in the next year or two. This time next year (or a little bit later), you may cut back the leader - then again, you may not. That leader needs to develop a lot of foliage to thicken it and eventually close the chop wound.

I hope you've got more trees to play with = patience is what this one now needs.

Top Bottom