First winter, building time!

Sephiro

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Hey guys!
Just started working on my first cold frame, anyone got pointers on construction as well as location/depth inside ground. The general consensus in Montreal is this is the best method, other than a heat controlled 5C shed or room.
I’ve gotten R10 polystyrene at 2.13 inches, and some 2x2s for bracing. Sealing seems with gorilla tape.
When it comes to ground level or digging, I’ve heard anywhere from don’t dig, to deepest pot height, all the way to dig a hole deep enough to cover all branches.
Hinged doors/openings? Just a closed box? Ventilation? Or do you monitor and open/close throughout winter?

Attachments

• 991254B4-642C-4404-8E98-A0E5897BBB18.jpeg
    991254B4-642C-4404-8E98-A0E5897BBB18.jpeg
    188 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Hi!

I build a shelted similar to yours last year.
I live in Valleyfield so we have the exact same climate!

I would suggest you to dig a few feets, add a few inches of draining substrate at the bottom.
You can add a few inches of mulch, add your trees and cover everything with mulch.
You can also add a few inches of snow to keep everything well insulated, the snow will also melt in Spring and keep moisture in the pots.
What important is that the trees are protected from the wind, heavy direct sun and or heavy snow.
The pots will still freeze but the demand in water will be minimized if the tree is protected from the wind and sun.

Keep in mind that you will "lose" a few weeks as it takes a bit more time for the soil to unthaw in the Spring.

Winter shelter are perfect for more rubust trees but be cautious with fancy maples.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey guys!
Just started working on my first cold frame, anyone got pointers on construction as well as location/depth inside ground. The general consensus in Montreal is this is the best method, other than a heat controlled 5C shed or room.
I’ve gotten R10 polystyrene at 2.13 inches, and some 2x2s for bracing. Sealing seems with gorilla tape.
When it comes to ground level or digging, I’ve heard anywhere from don’t dig, to deepest pot height, all the way to dig a hole deep enough to cover all branches.
Hinged doors/openings? Just a closed box? Ventilation? Or do you monitor and open/close throughout winter?

My coldframe is a box I built out of cement blocks along the north side of my house.

I have 4'x4' sheets of PVC plastic that I use to cover it when necessary. I'll leave it open for rain and snow and cover it if temperatures will get too low.

Been using it for several years now and it works really well for me.

My winter is a bit warmer than where you are so you'll need to adjust your practices for your weather.

Top Bottom