First wiring job - Eastern Red Cedar

Dragon60

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I received my wire today so got right on to wiring what I now know is an Eastern Red Cedar. It has hung in there after a heavy pruning recently. It was cut down 8 inches. This was my first time wiring a tree. It does look a little clumsy but I probably should have used thinner wire. Being on a budget I only ordered 1 size. I got 3 mm which was fine on the trunk but the branches could have used 1 mm I think. I'll eventually get the smaller size but for now went with what I had. I plan on trimming some bottom branches but after so much pruning already I will wait.thumbnailwire2.jpg

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
I don't want to be a bearer of bad news, but...
-Your wiring is very sloppy.
- It's doing nothing to the tree to train it or give it style and movement.
- Wire is, as you said yourself, way too thick for the branches.
- Rocks on your pot are doing more bad than good to the soil.
Good for training and learn what not to do, but you should take one or two lessons first on your local bonsai club.
Sorry to be so blunt.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't want to be a bearer of bad news, but...
-Your wiring is very sloppy.
- It's doing nothing to the tree to train it or give it style and movement.
- Wire is, as you said yourself, way too thick for the branches.
- Rocks on your pot are doing more bad than good to the soil.
Good for training and learn what not to do, but you should take one or two lessons first on your local bonsai club.
Sorry to be so blunt.

@Clicio, could you expound on rock thoughts? I am newly aware that over time rocks atop soil can contribute to soil compaction, especially with freeze thaws..but are there other elements at play with this?..perhaps, impeding gas exchange in roots or limiting O2 in soil??

Tiki

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I guess ya gotta start somewhere right? On the bright side of things, you wont need to worry about the wire biting in for a good while. Also, if thats you in your avatar..you got quite the beard going on there. Well done sir.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Aesthetics aside..still coated, unnanealed single thermostat wire is easier to work with than bare copper.
20180417_160819.jpg
20180417_163259.jpg

I recently found bout a third of a 100ft spool...4 strand. This is oft discarded wire. You may have a hundred ft or so coiled beside your furnace right now! Call your local HVAC guy........hop their dumpster!

Sorce

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@Clicio, could you expound on rock thoughts? I am newly aware that over time rocks atop soil can contribute to soil compaction, especially with freeze thaws..but are there other elements at play with this?..perhaps, impeding gas exchange in roots or limiting O2 in soil??

You actually answered the rocks on soil question. Limits air penetration to roots, can create a dry pocket or region if tree is watered from above (rather than dunking the tree in a bucket of water) compacting soil, that's pretty much the list. Often no visible problems, but especially for a weak tree, can be the one little thing that causes failure to thrive.

That wiring tutorial is really good, do watch, then practice on a dead stick, then watch again. Colin Lewis is a good teacher.

We all started somewhere, I applaud your willingness to jump in and try, and bravery for posting your work. Well done.

There's a danger in over flexing, bending branches to frequently. This can happen even if you don't actually break the branches. You can break the fibers of the tree's "plumbing", tear the cambium layer. I would leave the tree as is for now. Give the tree at least a summer to recover, heal the cambium after the first wiring. Remove wire sometime in winter, and then rewire after practicing on a few dead branches cut from landscape trees.

Wiring is a skill I'm still working on after 30+ years of experience. It's not something you do right the first time. Welcome to a life long hobby.

Dragon60

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've already removed the big rocks. I will replace with moss that I find in yard. I'll just leave this tree alone until winter, other than occasional watering of course. Is a tiny amount of fertilizer ok or is that too much on what is probably an already overstressed tree?

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Well, besides those reasons above, it can create air pockets under it, which is bad for the soil, as @Leo in N E Illinois has said.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've already removed the big rocks. I will replace with moss that I find in yard. I'll just leave this tree alone until winter, other than occasional watering of course. Is a tiny amount of fertilizer ok or is that too much on what is probably an already overstressed tree?
Actually, Moss isn’t all that great, either! Sure, it looks good, but the healthiest way is to have a plain soil surface. Maybe with a bit of spaghnum moss on the surface if you need the extra water in the summer.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Maybe with a bit of spaghnum moss on the surface if you need the extra water in the summer.
Yes, it works very well in hot climates, also in unusual sunny warm autumns like it's happening right now in South America.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I received my wire today so got right on to wiring what I now know is an Eastern Red Cedar. It has hung in there after a heavy pruning recently. It was cut down 8 inches. This was my first time wiring a tree. It does look a little clumsy but I probably should have used thinner wire. Being on a budget I only ordered 1 size. I got 3 mm which was fine on the trunk but the branches could have used 1 mm I think. I'll eventually get the smaller size but for now went with what I had. I plan on trimming some bottom branches but after so much pruning already I will wait.View attachment 189109
Your wiring will get better with practice. The bigger problem with this tree, which you'll learn as you go along, is it's an Eastern red cedar. They make poor bonsai. The branches do not tend to grow and thicken as you'd like, so that part will be frustrating. They also do not produce lush growth, so will look sparse and maintain that look. Mature foliage is a rare thing to see on them. So overall it's tough to make them look like real trees.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Your wiring will get better with practice. The bigger problem with this tree, which you'll learn as you go along, is it's an Eastern red cedar. They make poor bonsai. The branches do not tend to grow and thicken as you'd like, so that part will be frustrating. They also do not produce lush growth, so will look sparse and maintain that look. Mature foliage is a rare thing to see on them. So overall it's tough to make them look like real trees.
Ok, let’s look on the bright side... Dragonmaster has learned that 1) his tree is a poor species to try to make into a bonsai, and 2) his wiring needs improvement. The good thing is his attempt to wire hasn’t harmed a valuable plant! If he goes and watches the Craftsy tutorial, and practices it on this tree, this has all been worthwhile!

(DM, if you do want to practice your wiring on this tree, taker all the existing wire off first, then rewire.)

Really, to use a real estate term, the “highest and best use” of that tree is to use it for wiring practice!

Please take the existing wire off, watch the craftsy tutorial, then wire the tree again and post picture of the tree after rewiring. I would really like to see how much better it looks. And it would show how effective Colin’s teaching is! And don’t worry, just do the best you can. You will still make mistakes! We all do! Wiring well takes lots of practice and experience.

Dragon60

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, I will do that. I ordered some 1 mm wire, which I think will be a lot easier to use on this tree. In the meantime I will check out the wiring videos. Also, I have another unexpected project. I noticed some workers at my apt. complex had chopped up a tree too near another tenants ac unit. I stopped them as they were going to remove the stump to throw away. thumbnailww.jpgthumbnail (16).jpg They let me remove it and pot it up. I don't know what it is but kept some leaves they had discarded. There are azaleas nearby so thought it could be that but not sure. Maybe someone can identify by the leaves?

Dragon60

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Upon closer look pretty sure it isn't an azalea. Leaves are similar but on the tree differently.

Dragon60

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, I believe you've pegged it. Although I'm not sure which kind. I'm finding different varieties listed - Japanese, Chinese, Sinense - the pics of Ligustrum bonsai look wonderful.

Last edited:
Top Bottom