First wiring of European Larch

AndyJ

Shohin
Reaction score
Hello folks.

Please can I ask - does anyone have any pictures of first wiring on a European Larch?

I have a large yamadori larch that was collected a couple of years ago, spent one year in pure grit and gravel that it was collected in, and then transferred to a big training pot where it’s been for the last two years growing freely. It’s autumn now so I thought I’d lay some of the foundation branches into position and wire them.

Does anyone have any pictures of their larches after first wiring the primary and secondary branches - how much of the young branches and secondary branches were kept? How many upward / downward curves were kept? How many left / right curves were kept?

Many thanks all.

Andy

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Maybe this video of Peter Warren can help you :)

AndyJ

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks @Kadebe I've had a look at those and they're really good, helped a lot. However, my tree is about 3ft tall, trunk about 4"-5" at the bottom and something like this isn't covered in the videos.

When it was collected, my tree had no thick branches anywhere, just spindly branches and a few buds on the trunk - which are slowly growing. I want to know how I should be developing these branches while they're still young. It would be really good to see the branches on a mature larch from above.

Hoping someone will be able to help?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This was a first wiring, but the tree came from a growingbed where someone had regularly trimmed the tree. I am not sure it helps you a lot..

As I got it last fall:
20191201-20191201_R14A2347.jpg

After the first wiring, around christmas:
20191223-IMG_20191223_122559.jpg

Yes.. Crossing wire!
20191223-IMG_20191223_123841.jpg20191223-IMG_20191223_130334.jpg

In summer this year:
IMG_20200410_094303-193.jpg

AndyJ

Shohin
Reaction score
This was a first wiring, but the tree came from a growingbed where someone had regularly trimmed the tree. I am not sure it helps you a lot..

As I got it last fall:
View attachment 340771

After the first wiring, around christmas:
View attachment 340772

Yes.. Crossing wire!
View attachment 340773View attachment 340774

In summer this year:
View attachment 340775

Hi Leather. Yes that does help - I can see the shape of the branches more. Are each of the branches wired in a herringbone shape?

My main branches are about 8”-12” long, but very thin and spindly - I need to grow these long to get them thicker. What I’m not sure what to do with is the secondary branches that grow off the main one. These are very and spindly too and I’m not sure if I should keep these to help form pads, or whether I should shorten these to just an inch or two long?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I shortened them if I did not need them. So I started building from the bottom, laying out branch after branch. Once the frst branch is wired and set and trimmed you can just add the next above it and trim back to length.

Top Bottom