First Wisteria of the season

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the pictures Paul. They give a sense of scale, not only as to the size of your wisteria, but also the amount of flowers! Beautiful tree :D

Just out of curiosity, did you collect a stump and grow out all the current branches from scratch? My thought on my wisteria was to eventually cut it back to about a foot from where the trunk splits into subtrunks, and grow out new branches from there (probably cut it back to around the top of my second picture). Just wondering how long that would take. Not that I'm in a hurry or anything. I left plenty of length on the subtrunks to account for likely dieback. One this initial set of chops, I don't think there would be that much dieback as last fall it already started pushing new growth from within a half foot of the ends of the chops. I imagine that it will take me a few years to slowly chop back to where I want to start the branches.

All my wisteria bonsai were collected stumps.

And yes, all the current branches were grown from scratch. In my experience, wisteria will bud back profusely on old wood.

The only time I experienced any die back was when I did not properly seal the cuts. If you do not seal the cuts there is a very good chance that rot will set in and ruin your efforts.

Cheers,
Paul

Treemania

Seed
Reaction score
Beautiful! What size is it? How long does wisteria bloom in FL?

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Beautiful! What size is it? How long does wisteria bloom in FL?

Thanks for the compliment Treemania.

The white one is approximately 24" tall. The purple one is approximately 45" tall.

Here in Northeast Florida, the wisteria flower for two to three weeks. They are at their peak for about one week every year.

Regards,
Paul

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"They are at their peak for about one week every year."

Then they look like crap and try to eat your house and your other trees...:D:D

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Then they look like crap and try to eat your house and your other trees...

Only if you let them rock.

If you prescribe to the 'hack it back to stubs' method of trimming your wisteria bonsai then yes.

However, I have found that if your properly trim off the spent racemes each year this is not the case.

Regards,
Paul

Top Bottom